· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I will leave the stocking advice that you undoubtedly have coming to someone else.
    That's my cue.
    You are not necessarily overstocked in terms of bio-load, as the others have pointed out, 20ppm nitrate between weekly water changes is fine. But, you have too many territorial fish who will want to claim most of the tank for their territory. Once that angelfish starts to mature it will get more and more aggressive towards the gourami, and vise versa.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took a chance when I got two gourami, but I've had them for about a year an a half now and they're actually very amicable towards each other. As for the tetras, I'm working on that. I was actually planning to bring back my two black tetras and get some more serpae tetras instead.

Can you suggest any fish that will clean the gravel like corys but that don't need to be in schools?
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't think of any that don't need to be in schools. You could go for 7 or 8 loaches instead if you wanted but other than that I can't think of anything. Maybe someone else could help.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Heres a link that I'm pretty sure is linked somewhere else on this site that will determine whether you are overstocked or not. It's really helpful lol.
    aqadvisor.com/
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41
    Heres a link that I'm pretty sure is linked somewhere else on this site that will determine whether you are overstocked or not. It's really helpful lol.
    aqadvisor.com/
    Keeping in mind ---> It's a sketchpad & not a final draft.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Keeping in mind ---> It's a sketchpad & not a final draft.

Good point 850R
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I.A. 100% with dane and 850R, you would benefit from increasing the filtration in your tank.

A good rule of thumb is to run about double the rated filtration capacity on the filter packages.

EX: I run a AC50 on my 20 gallon (and a 20 gallon sponge filter, just to be safe...)

The upside to having greater filtration capacity is that the more filtration you have, the clearer your water will be and the more room you will have for beneficial nitrifying bacteria to flourish.

0 Not allowed!
    How about a carnivorous snail or shrimp as bottom feeders/scavengers?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Unless there is a lot of cover in your tank, as in massive floating plants or caves, etc. any shrimp you put in might become between-meal snacks for your fish.

I agree you need more filtration.

I would rinse out your biomedia in a bucket of siphoned tank water when you do your water changes. It will already be dechlorinated, and I believe it will better preserve your beneficial bacteria.

The sponge, as was pointed out to you, can be rinsed under running water than dunked into dechlorinated water before returning it to your filter.

It's good you have no nitrates in your tap water. Is it private well water? If so, and you know that nobody has added any chlorine or chloramines to it, you won't need dechlor.

Your trates are within the safe range. Whatever source said they shouldn't get any higher than 5 ppm is misleading. The lower the better, but you can have 10 to 15 and still be okay. When they approach 20, time to WC.

Do clean your filter -- that could make a real difference. In addition to rinsing the media, if your tubing is real cruddy inside, you should brush it out then rinse it in siphoned tank water. Most LFSs sell filter brushes, or you can order some from an aquarium catalog. A Q-Tip or impeller brush will work well for cleaning out the impeller chamber. Then take a paper towel to the inside of the media box, and also clean off any gunk from the holding basket. Accumulated gunk in your filter's hardware can increase the trates.

Finally, if you will put a prefilter sponge on the end of your intake tube, it will help keep your filter cleaner longer. It should be rinsed out regularly, too.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice post mermaid, it's like the Readers Digest condensed version of the entire Thread.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.