· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Choosing Lighting for Low-Tech Planted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 65 gallon aquarium with dimensions 36"x18"x24" (LxWxH).

Since the aquarium is so tall, I am having trouble deciding what type of lighting to choose.

I want the tank to be low-tech (Walstad-esque) in that it will be heavily planted with low to moderate light plants, with slow, steady growth. Definitely no CO2, (hopefully) no ferts, dirt substrate... you get the deal.

Right now, I am thinking this fixture will work nicely (2x 39w T5 6500 K). However, it will only put me at 1.2 WPG. Will the fact that it is T5HO help overcome this shortcoming? They make the same fixture with 4 bulbs, but on another forum they said it would be way too much light for a low-tech tank.

If anyone has experience with Walstad, NPT, El Natural, etc. type tanks - please give me some advice on lighting considerations. Keep in mind the depth of the tank. I should also mention that the tank will get a moderate to low amount of indirect sunlight.

0 Not allowed!
    I would think you would be fine with that light. The four bulb fixture would give you higher levels of light than you want. The below link might be helpful

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff, the 4 bulb would be better, I have the same tank and light you mentioned, it will not provide enough light at depth for most plants
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

0 Not allowed!
    Two T5HO fixture should be fine.
    You will want to keep the surface of the water clean of floaters, to get the depth for short plants.

If you're a handy sort of person, DIY LED would be the ultimate in configuration. You could use optics to specifically light individual higher light plants and leave the rest of the tank at lower levels of light.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to dbosman.
    you can get a decent light off ebay for around 60$ for that tank

if you have a bit extra cash for upfront cost, and the skill to do so, a 5w led set up with lenses would be a great idea for the tank.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!