· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 5 gal tank, looking for sugestions.

0 Not allowed!
    I got a 5 gal tank for Christmas, and I'm looking for suggestions on what to put in it.

I have a larger tank, that has 2 angels, 12 neons, 6 black neons, 3 black skirt tetras and a beta. They are all very healthy and seem happy. The tank also has live plants. Over the last 9 months I've lost 1 neon so I'm figure I'm doing pretty well all in all. The 2 angels will most likely be leaving soon, they're a matting pair and are turning rather aggressive to the other fish. But I'll see how that goes.

I'm thinking of either a school of small fish, neons, or something along that line. I plan on using live plants in this one as well. Maybe a shrimp for cleaning.

That or perhaps 2-3 dwarf Cichlids of some sort.

I know 5 gallons isn't a big tank, so I'm rather limited in what I can put in there, but any ideas would be most welcome.

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a male Betta in my 5 gallon and it's just perfect for him. I know it is only one fish but it's something to think about.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    5 gallons is too small for dwarf cichlids.

You could keep shrimp - have you considered them? They're fun and interesting. You're at an advantage if you already have a planted tank - you could set up a nano planted aquascape.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would say do a betta tank or raise some shrimp.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    5 gallons is too small for dwarf cichlids.
    Yeah I'm seeing that after looking a bit. I did find the Scarlet Gem Badis, that looks like maybe 3 or so might work. They only get to be about 1" long, and are quite peaceful. I'd do a species tank anyway, so they seem like a good fit.

You could keep shrimp - have you considered them?
    Sorta. I wouldn't mind a shrimp but the tank doesn't have great light, a single LED right now. So I'd have to get better lighting before I could consider doing a aquascape.

A ghost shrimp with the badis could make a interesting tank perhaps.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...I'd not heard of Scarlet Gem Badis but looking them up suggests they need at least 10 gallons. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 10 gallons either.

You could look at some of the microrasbora species...you're pushing it a bit for them (volume) but might be ok.

I keep a shrimp tank with low lighting (planted). If you choose your planting carefully you should be ok. Anubias (nano varieties are nice in small tanks) and java moss should thrive.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~