· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Fire Eel Emergency

0 Not allowed!
    So, here's the story...

I have an acquaintance who is also into fishkeeping. He has a 45 gallon tank with 2 Discus, 1 Angel, 1 MASSIVE plecostomus, an Elephant Nose Fish aaand a large Fire Eel. I know that stocking is pretty horrendous and have tried telling him so. However, he does seem to take pretty good care of his fish (even if the care isn't quite up to my standards, it's better than a lot of terrible aquarists around here).

Anyway, he has been trying to rehome his fire eel for quite some time but with no success. He says he no longer has time to feed it as the only thing he can get it to eat is earthworms, which he has to dig for as pet shops here do not sell them.

He has offered it to me for free. I know my 65g tank is less than ideal for a fire eel but it has to be better than where it is now, even if I just took it temporarily until I could find a proper home for it. I'm afraid if I don't take it he'll starve it to death.

So, what would you do? And also, does anyone have any tips on what to feed a fire eel that won't eat? He said it even refuses bloodworms. I was considering trying meal worms, which we feed to our frogs.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    bait shops carry earthworms year-round and they are usually fairly cheap. bloodworms will not fill up a large fire eel. I would try cut up shrimp.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    You can even culture your own worms if you want. In the meantime you can try to wean it onto prepared food
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Many baitshops carry night crawlers, which are just big earthworms.

They are nocturnal eaters, so you could also try a sinking pellet food at night time.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys -- that's a great idea which I didn't think of.

I assume earthworms aren't a healthy complete diet for a Fire Eel, what other things should I try feeding to it if I can manage to get it to eat other things? Meal worms or freeze-dried shrimp, etc? I don't think I'll have much luck getting it onto Predator Pellets.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    cut up raw market shrimp, clam, and squid seem to be favorites of larger eels IME.
    Thar she blows!!!