· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie ?s

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure of the post, either; but plants can be killed by high ammonia and nitrites are just terrible for plants. Mommy1 is correct, no way ammonia levels could reach harmful levels for plants with fish.

Plants prefer nitrates and do not easily use ammonia.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Plants prefer nitrates and do not easily use ammonia.
    That statement is right and wrong. Yes, terrestrial plants prefer nitrates and are able to consume it at higher rates than ammonia. However, aquatic plants don't consume nitrate at all. The plant must convert the nitrite and nitrate to ammonium first (wasting energy doing so) thus ammonium is clearly the preferred nitrogen source.

Here's a very interesting article written by Diana Walstad describing plant filtration: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Plants_and_Biological_Filtration

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Where is my statement wrong? Nitrites are not good for plants and ammonia is toxic at high levels - both true statements as far as I've read. Relative to nitrates, you are saying that every single plant fert mfg. is wrong since they include nitrates? Most people with plants dose nitrate, never ammonia ... .

The article you cite says plants have no problems using nitrates; only that ammonia is eaier to uptake. Still don't see where I'm wrong ... confused here.

Also, ammonia will kill fish very quickly, is bad for people to breath, so, can't see anyone using it; also, the article is dead wrong on this point - ammoina is NEVER used directly by plants - ammonia is a gas at room temperature unless in a solution ... they mean a complex containing ammonia.
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-14-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    We don't have to dose ammonia, the fish do that for us.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    We don't have to dose ammonia, the fish do that for us.
    Wow! I'd never would have guessed that!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Where is my statement wrong? Nitrites are not good for plants and ammonia is toxic at high levels - both true statements as far as I've read. Relative to nitrates, you are saying that every single plant fert mfg. is wrong since they include nitrates? Most people with plants dose nitrate, never ammonia ... .

The article you cite says plants have no problems using nitrates; only that ammonia is eaier to uptake. Still don't see where I'm wrong ... confused here.

Also, ammonia will kill fish very quickly, is bad for people to breath, so, can't see anyone using it; also, the article is dead wrong on this point - ammoina is NEVER used directly by plants - ammonia is a gas at room temperature unless in a solution ... they mean a complex containing ammonia.
    Umm... First off, you said, and I quote, "Plants prefer nitrates and do not easily use ammonia" which I simply explained is incorrect for aquatic plants. I said that aquatic plants PREFER ammonium, and have to convert nitrate to ammonium in order to utilize it. Secondly, I said nothing about the toxicity of these nitrogen compounds to fish as I was simply correcting your statement so that misinformation isn't being spread. Thirdly, the article does in fact discuss how plants have problems using nitrates: "The energy required for nitrate reduction is equivalent to 23.4% of the energy obtained from glucose combustion. Thus, if nitrifying bacteria in biological filters convert all available ammonium to nitrates, plants will be forced—at an energy cost—to convert all the nitrates back to ammonium.". Lastly, I NEVER said anything about fert manufacturers being wrong. The reason that we dose nitrate is because it's safer for fish. Honestly though, if I had a plant-only tank, I would dose ammonia instead of nitrate so that the plants don't have to use up energy converting the nitrate to ammonium. You must have just skipped the entire article and went straight into defensive mode instead of trying to learn some valuable information written by an incredibly respected member of the hobby.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your last point. If you read back, I've been very specific in that they readily consume ammoniUM, which is an ion in solution and more abundant than ammoniA at the pH that we keep our tanks, and very readily consumed by plants.
    Last edited by funkman262; 01-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.