· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates

0 Not allowed!
    So I am setting up my new 55Gal aquarium and have 80Lbs of CaribSea Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates in "white sand". Now this stuff says "Substrates are packed with live, water-purifying bacteria to jumpstart the cycling process. Its high internal surface area allows more room for water purifying bacteria to thrive. Also packed in a water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramines and reduce fish stress" as well as no need to rinse. Has anyone had experience with this? If so should I do as it says and add the sand and water its packed in or is it better if I rinse it? I will be doing a fish-less cycle hopefully starting tomorrow evening once I get the filter and heater delivered and installed.

Thanks in advance

Druime

0 Not allowed!
    I have the Ecco complete African cichlid sand mix. There is no need to rinse it (DO NOT Rinse). Make sure there are no holes in the bag before you buy it as the bacteria will die in that condition. Just dump it in the tank, add water-slowly and enjoy. It will be cloudy for a little while just as any sand will. To see what it looks like in a tank click the link in my signature that says "MY Tank Video." What kind of Africans are you keeping. Make sure you add a chlorine remover when you fill the tank.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 01-02-2013 at 12:53 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the fast reply. I plan on stocking it with peacock's. And thanks for the reminder, I did buy some prime today to add to the water when I fill it.

0 Not allowed!
    Sure thing. When you dose Prime down the road, after your tank is filled and you're doing regular water changes, dose it before adding the water to the tank if you use a Python or something like it. Make sure you add an ammonia source as the fishless cycling calls for. Don't rely on the bacteria in the sand to cycle your tank because it won't. I look forward to seeing pics or video of the tank.