· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If you use a hob filter, you'll want to put a sponge on the intake, else you the shrimp will be blenderized by the impeller. Floramax is fine.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The HOB won't be going on this tank. I will use it on my other tank where flow isn't an issue...

If I did use an HOB on the shrimp tank I would definitely put a sponge over the intake but I think I will just go with a plain old sponge filter... that Hagen Elite sponge filter on Kensfish.com looks good. What are you guy's opinions on that one?

Thanks again for all of the advice!! I will try to get some pics up soon...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy

If I did use an HOB on the shrimp tank I would definitely put a sponge over the intake but I think I will just go with a plain old sponge filter... that Hagen Elite sponge filter on Kensfish.com looks good. What are you guy's opinions on that one?
    They are decent. Have a few of those ones, the sponges have held up rather well, at least 2 years. Doesn't take up much space. I like the ones that have 2 sponges on them. That way I can alternate cleaning them, or if I have to set up a new tank, I can just move one sponge over to instant cycle another tank.

Added benefit is the shrimp will be able to forage on stuff collected and growing on the sponge.

0 Not allowed!
    Those filters look really interesting - I've never seen one before. So there's no cage around the sponge or anything?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let's try some pics...

New tank

Set up

You can barely see the java fern I picked up in there... hopefully the "dust" settles quick...

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - that's is cloudy - how did you put the water in? Did you wash the gravel?

It's a smart little tank

There is no need to have cloudy water at all, even at initial set up. Pack the substrate with screwed up newspaper (or bubblewrap) and pour the water in very, very gradually. Then remove the packing. Voila - cloud free.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I did rinse... The package said it sould only need a light rinsing... you should have seen what came out when I rinsed it. Multiple times. Yuck!

I just poured the water in... oops... I didn't think it would be that bad with rinsing the gravel first. Next time I will try your tricks...

0 Not allowed!
    Live and learn

0 Not allowed!
    The dust will settle out in a day or two. Just let it sit. If you're a bit impatient, a hob filter with just pillow stuffing in it works well to pick up the fine particles in the water. There is a product called water clarifier, it clears the water fairly quick. I think floramax comes with a small packet of the stuff. I know ecocomplete does.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's looking better already so I think I'll wait it out. I can wait... the gravel my Dad used in the tanks we had when I was a kid always clouded the water at first so I'm kinda used to it...