Ok so... several months ago I picked up a 3 Electric Blue Rams and an Apistos for my 65 gallon that is mid- heavy planted. (4 months or so)

I have recently lost 2 EBR and have an apisto that does not look like he's doing well, and I'd like to tack down the cause of the issue. In all cases the first sign of issue to death happens very rapidly, usually within 24 hours.

Symptoms Timeline:
Ram #1
  • Ram looks lethargic,
  • Hanging out near surface
  • Coloration appears possibly darker overall (not confined to any particular spot)
  • NO bloating, appears normal to lean but not undernourished size in the gut (using Ram photos for comparison)

I moved this Ram to a QT tank to observe and possibly treat. Found this ram later that day dead.

Ram #2
  • Ram looks lethargic,
  • Hanging out near surface
  • Coloration appears possibly darker overall (not confined to any particular spot)
  • Similar belly condition as before

I did a greater than 60% WC, may have been minor improvement in behavior, but fish died within 24 hours. - I did not move this fish to a QT since based on my prior experience I was concerned the stress of the move may have been an issue with the death of the last fish.

Apisto:
  • Looks lethargic
  • looks paler
  • much rounder bellied, but I'd not say bloated

Did ~30% WC. Tested Water (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, <5 Nitrate - this is likely due to recent prior WC and the amount of plant growth in my tank. I did run this test twice to verify) The other inhabitants in the tank appear to be eating and behaving normally. Normal poo. I am treating this time with an initial dose of Maracyn 2. Some of the symptoms seems to look like Myxobacteria which is a gram negative bacteria.

Anyone have any other thoughts on what it may be?