Ive been cycling my tank for over 2 months now and im still getting ammonia and nitrite reading. Ive been using Prime as a de-chlorinater and ive also been dosing it when my readings have been high and ive been unable to do a water change (eg when going to work).

I went in my local fish shop today and told the owner ive been using Prime and he told me Prime will be starving the bacteria in the filter of ammonia/nitrite because ive been dosing it. Is this true? Ive purchased some JBL Biotopol instead to try as he said this is what he uses and that its really good stuff.