· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default cyclle- just filled with water now what, got my ammonia

0 Not allowed!
    right guys this is my first tank, fluval 200. so im now in preparation of cleaning the new gravel and next fill the tank up with water

i got my tap safe chemical how much to add?
    how much b&Q ammonia shall i add?

do i add ammonia each day or just once

i have no testing kit because it didnt turn up with my filter ordered so annoying, i wanted to get started today... is there a rough dosage of ammonia i can go by for a 200 litre tank
    Last edited by parkeey; 11-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Read the cycling threads in my signature. Just follow the directions.

Add enough ammonia to bring the reading up to 4ppm on your test. It will say on your dechlorinator how much to add to your water.

0 Not allowed!
    I would strongly urge you not to start your cycle until you get your liquid test kit because you will not know what your tap water parameter baseline level is and also will not know when the ammonia starts to diminish in the tank so you will not know when to add more. Read the stickies as Hobbs suggested and read the first link in my signature.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 11-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok thks i have setup up the filter and lights and all running ok now i will wait for test kit before adding anthing.

0 Not allowed!
    Good, I'm glad to hear that. Just use the time waiting for your test kit to do as much research as you can so you have an advantage when you start.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my pond filter has some used k1 media , shall i take out a few handfulls of this although very greeny? cos i took the 2 carbon sachets out of my ex1200 tetra filter as wasnt sure to use this as turned black when i rinsed... shall i put a few handfulls of k1 media in, woudl this help the cycle???

0 Not allowed!
    What bacteria is on it will simply die without food (ammonia) to feed it. I don't know as I'd add anything from a pond to my inside tank, either. Altho I agree with Jeff that waiting on your test kit would be wise, I really don't think it would hurt to add a couple T. of ammonia now to get things started. Any ammonia from 2-5ppm (on your tester) will get things at least started for you. Adding ammonia is not a perfect science and adding a small amount is better than adding too much.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    right so i had wait 3 weeks for my test kitsupplied by ark petstore wont be using them again, so last week i added 8ml of b&q ammonia and today just finallly got my teskit, heres the result ammonia added nearly a week ago. so i make it 0.6 on the scale... ? what the next step now..
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I can't really make out the detials on the color chart of your test kit. I am assuming you have 0.6ppm of ammonia

If that is correct, I would dose some more ammonia, wait 20 minutes, then test again. Repeat as required until you get the level up to around 3 to 4ppm. Once you have done that, you will now know the amount you will need to dose moving forward from here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Wait until you get a reading of 0 and then add more ammonia up to 1-2ppm. Eventually, you will get a reading for nitrites. Every time the ammonia drops to 0, you add more to get it back up to 1-2ppm and eventually, it will drop faster and faster as the bacteria grow.

Oops - Cliff & I cross posted -I'm thinking since there was ammonia already added, the OP should wait until it goes down to 0 before adding more?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in