· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default new Aqueon Evolve for my betta, questions about water flow

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,

Just upgraded my boy from a Marineland 3 gal bowfront to an Aqueon Evolve 8. Thought he would enjoy some more room, and I wanted to give him some live plants (java fern and anubias). Previous tank was cycled. I modified the Evolve by drilling holes in the bottom of the media chamber and using AC Biomax and an AC sponge instead of the cartridge. Stuck the media from the old Tetra filter in there too, so I wouldn't have to put him through a cycle again. Tested tank tonight and parameters are all good.

He doesn't seem to appreciate his new home that much, and I'm not sure if it's just sulking or because of the current. He did eat last night and tonight, his normal piggy self. The pump is turned down to its lowest setting. Tried aiming the output nozzle toward his tree to disperse the flow a bit, which seemed to help, but I would still find him flat against the overflow grid. He would readily swim away from it with ease, so it wasn't like he was just stuck there because of flow - I wonder if it just made an easy resting spot for him. Anyway, tonight we put a sponge prefilter over the output, which definitely slowed down the flow even more. (While we were messing with it, I put my hand in front of the nozzle and it didn't seem very strong at all.) It just seems like there is now no flow in the tank at all. Surface is very still and has a slight film.

So I guess my questions are:
    1. Can you have too little flow in a tank, or does it not matter as long as the water is turned over enough?
    2. Is the surface film something to be worried about?
    3. Do the plants need a current? Hubby read that they need some to keep algae from settling on the leaves.
    4. Could my little guy just be sulking and not appreciative of his new home?

Thanks in advance!

Sabra

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Dunno about the rest, but bettas do need a little time to adjust to a new home. My first betta, I brought him home from the pet store and put him in a 3-gallon tank. He hovered perfectly still for a full minute, then freaked out. He literally did not know which direction to go in first and ended up trying to go in all directions at once. It was funny to watch.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    It may take as much as a week for a Betta to adjust to a new home. Up the flow if you notice water quality problems, but they do prefer it at the most gentle you can get it.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    about the betta resting on the overflow - my last betta used to do this as well and he was a bit of a lazy fellow , when i first saw him doing it i was very worried thinking the current was too strong, but over time i began to realize that indeed he was doing it because it was an easy place for him to rest. he had absolutely no trouble swimming away from it and would do so immediately if he thought he was going to be fed or noticed someone watching him.

as long as their long beautiful fins are not in danger of being sucked up into it i wouldn't worry about it.

just make sure there are other places they can rest, too. and it sounds like there are.

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a betta who sleeps on top of his tank filter's outflow nozzle. His ventral fins are merrily blowing in the current but he doesn't seem to care

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a marina i25 internal filter and my boy likes to sit in front of the intake so it pulls on his fins, he will readily swim away if he sees me or if a call his name (if am across the room and call him he swims to the glass looking for me :P)

Josh
    40 gallon: native tank, rock bass, yellow perch, chub minnows
    20 gallon: (cycling, will be) 6 zebra danios, 6 cardinal tetras, RCS, moss wall
    10 gallon: salamander halfmoon betta named Gilligan(my avatar), RCS

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Evidently he was just sulking as he was back to his normal self after a few days. I'd read about bettas sulking but had never seen it before. What an ungrateful brat, give him a nice new bigger home and he sulks! ;) He still "rests" against the overflow but otherwise is doing well. Only problem I'm having now is trying to feed the 4 remaining rummynoses without overfeeding the betta. Always a challenge, this hobby!

Sabra

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did you use some old filter media in the new filter to transfer the beneficial bacteria over?
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"