· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: cycling problem

Question

0 Not allowed!
    IIRC you only have the bag of carbon in the tank that has been running the longest, Is that correct?

The 'cycled filter' I mean.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i dont know what you mean
    in which tank

in my cycleing tank am i going to put in the sponge along with this http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-.../dp/B000HHLHDK
    and later on removing not the sponge but the bio-bag and replacing with this http://www.fishsupply.com/sheg-1456.html

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    i dont know what you mean
    in which tank
    I mean this:

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    IIRC you only have the bag of carbon in the tank that has been running the longest, Is that correct?

The 'cycled filter' I mean.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I am talking about this tank you are trying to cycle

As others have already stated, the carbon will not help you cycle you tank and it would be best to replace it with some biological filer media. Bacteria will not effectlively grow on carbon. The carbon I am referring to is in the first link you intserted into your last post

Your best approach would be the one I already suggested. Having the seeded sponge from your other tank along with the biological filter media that you have in the second link in your last post

I am sorry, but I miss understood your current situation. I would suggest reading up a little on the differences between chemical media (carbon) and biological filter media (the biomax). Both are very different from each other and fill different needs in a tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I am talking about this tank you are trying to cycle

As others have already stated, the carbon will not help you cycle you tank and it would be best to replace it with some biological filer media. Bacteria will not effectlively grow on carbon. The carbon I am referring to is in the first link you intserted into your last post
    Your best approach would be the one I already suggested. Having the seeded sponge from your other tank along with the biological filter media that you have in the second link in your last post
    I am sorry, but I miss understood your current situation. I would suggest reading up a little on the differences between chemical media (carbon) and biological filter media (the biomax). Both are very different from each other and fill different needs in a tank
    i am just gonna put the sponge in with the carbon for NOW
    maybe tommorow or very soon i am going to throw carbon out and keep the
    sponge and add the bio max
    i hope that is clear now

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I would suggest reading up a little on the differences between chemical media (carbon) and biological filter media (the biomax). Both are very different from each other and fill different needs in a tank
    Yes, I mentioned this specific difference in their roles in both post 11 & post 16 Cliff.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wait now i am confused
    so what i am doing is ok or am i doing something wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa
    wait now i am confused
    so what i am doing is ok or am i doing something wrong
    Using the carbon will not help your cycle or help keep the water free of ammoina and/or nitrites which are toxic to aquatic life.

If you want a the best water conditions for your tank inhabitants, use biologoical filter media and not carbon

That is why it has been stated many times in this thread, it is that improtant
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i am going to put in bio-max but should i throw the carbon out now or later when
    i get my bio-max
    no what never mind im gonna throw it out right now
    and just put the sponge in until i get the bio-max

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright
    i am happy to say that...
    today i was gonna restart but then i decided to test one more time
    my results from 2 days ago were
    ammonia: 1 (i know it is too high)
    nitrite:0
    nitrate:0

today my results are
    ammonia: .5
    nitrite:0
    nitrate:40

so i wait until ammonia goes to 0 then i redose to about .25 and when it goes to 0 i am cycled right?