· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default cycling with little fish verses big fish

0 Not allowed!
    I kind of have a weird question, I have been recently cycling my 150 gallon tank, at first there were four mollys and just recently I came across some very large Pacu fish, i have four the biggest 1 being 22 inches in length, I took them because the guy was going to put them in the local Lake but they ended up being too big, my question, is cycling a tank faster with bigger fish than a lot of smaller fish or is it kind of the same, like when I have the four mollies in there the tanke was fully cycled I believe and then I just put these big guys in there is a going to crash it or just take a little bit too catch up on the bio load, I just wanna know if I'm going to have a lot of fish in my freezer or these guys going to survive I'm actually trying to get rid of them because I'm trying to head to the tropical smaller fish, but I thought I'd save these guys and save my buddy from getting a big ticket, and plus my filter isn't the best right now it's not big enough for these guys I'm trying to modify it so can hold a lot of BB, I only have ammonia strips and my ammonia is about 3. O , so I modify my API modular filter with a whole bunch of pillow stuffing and also my powerhead with a 1 liter bottle and pillow stuffing as well, I have tw moving bed filter but Im not too knowledgeable on those I do not know how long they take to be fully activated, I'm using a 1 liter bottle with and they have been running for about 2 weeks, they definitely seem stressed out and my budget is it looking to save you guys because I figure I could just eat the there's about 30 pounds of fish in the tank, is very cheap and easy way to keep the ammonia down, and keep you guys comfortable, and another question if I take the fish out can I see a doc the same thing with the same water with the whole bunch of smaller tropical fish? thanks for the info
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)
    20gal sump project for the 150 or 90

0 Not allowed!
    WOW, that's one long sentence which is kinda hard to read.

You might want to consider re-writing your question(s) in a properly formatted paragraph to make it easier to understand your situation and what you are asking.

I go lost in you sentance, but I think I understand a part of your question(s). Bigger or more fish will produce more ammonia faster which will mean more frequant and larger water changes will be required to keep the fish safe. That might speed it up a little, but there are no guarantees with that
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing either, but what I got was, cycling a 150 gallon with 4 molly's probably didn't really cycle the tank much at all. That is a lot of water to dilute the waste of 4 small fish and what ever bacteria did grow would only support those 4 small fish. Now you are adding 4 very large fish and no way would there be enough bacteria to begin to support those pacu. From here I agree with Cliff, there should be some bacteria and that may speed up the cycle, but you need to stock up on Prime and get ready for a lot of large water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You are going to have to do at least 1 50% water change everyday in order to keep the fish safe. And once you start using PRIME, I wouldn't eat those fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Why would your buddy get a ticket?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay thank you for the info and I do apologize I go on and on and on once I start talking about all of my problems/ dilemmas in my fish tank lol but I do apologize, and you guys did answer my question, and another question on the water changes, do I need to use the dechlorinater every time I do my water change because that's getting quite expensive, because I have no more and I need to do these water changes to keep these guys going
    150 gal. (1 black fin Pacu) Modified API Nexx modular filterX3+ a 1 litter bottle Moving Bed filter w/straws + DIY UFAS+ modified PowerHead to an aerated bacteria filter.
    90 gal. (2 black fin Pacu) (1 red fin Pacu)Modified API modular nexx filterX3 + modified PwerHead to a biological aerated filter + 500gph aerated powerhead.
    26 gal. Planted (6mollies) (12platty wags) (1 Bristol nose placo) (4cory cats) (1clown loach) (betta)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, you need to dechlorinate the water each time to remove the chlorine and chloramines (spelling?) from the replacement water or you will kill the bacteria you are trying to grow
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    AS for dechlorinator, yes it must be used every time if your water has chlorinated chemicals (not well water.) Otherwise you will kill the fish and filter bacteria.

That said, a 150 gal tank needs water changes only when the ammonia levels go over 0.25 ppm; you have not told us what the water parameters are: so, what is the pH, the ammonia and nitrate levels?

Note I used periods and put spaces between different ideas/sentences - you might try that.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    King fisher because each fish and or animal needs to be examine before releasing into the wild, they can bring on parasites and viruses on to other animals

0 Not allowed!
    He is also quite stupid to even thing of releasing fish into our rivers and streams and mess up our own eco-systems because he doesn't know how to buy proper fish. He'd be better off killing them than killing all others in our lakes.