· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 10 Gallon Community!

0 Not allowed!
    So recently I moved back to my Dad's house with my 10 gallon which had 1 Black Moor Goldfish in it. Luckily there was an empty (except for some frogs and snails) 100 gallon pond out front that we used to have goldfish in but they all died of old age. I relocated the goldfish to that pond at the advice of some people here, and my own instinct. So I was left with a cycled, semi-planted, 10 gallon to stock. A week or so ago I purchased some Ghost Shrimp so they were in the tank, and nothing else. So I decided I wanted to go tropical with it, popped in a heater I had on hand, and started researching fish to put in there. Once the water was at the right temp (about 78 degrees F) I went out to the pet store with a list of fish in mind. This was yesterday. I ended up coming home with 1 Male Dwarf Gourami, 4 Julii Cory's, and a better filter.I started the fish on acclimating and installed the new filter (with old filter media). I put the fish in at about 6 PM last night. This morning the Cory's were all swimming all over the tank and the Gourami was cruising around grazing on algae.

So...like just about any fish keeper I think (or me at least) I wanted more. I did some more research, asked around here, and headed out to the store again in search of some Oto's. I came home with 3 Otoclinsus Vittatus. Got them acclimated and put them in about 6PM today.

This morning, I woke up early because an aquabid auction I was bidding on was set to close. The auction was for 14 Neocaridina Heteropoda wild shrimp (wild type of Red Cherry Shrimp). I won, and got them for a steal. Only $3 for the shrimp and then $12 for shipping. They should be arriving Monday-Tuesday. I'll be putting 12 of them in my 10 gallon community described above, and 2 in my 2.5 gallon betta tank.

So early next week my tank will be fully stocked. I've come a long way in just a few days. I'll be taking pictures of the tank and its inhabitants in the next few days. It has majority plastic/silk plants with a couple amazon swords, about 6 or so argentine swords, and some java fern. It doesn't look great right now, I'm hoping to take the plastic/silk plants out eventually and just go planted, but for now I need the cover for the fish. This is by far the most active community I've had. The Cory's are all over the place, as are the Oto's. Such fun. Pictures coming soon.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds great, can't wait to see pictures!
    Don't poke the crazy

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a couple of suggestions. I don't think any cory outside of the dwarf cory (and even then it might not be big enough) is a good choice for a ten gallon it just doesn't have enough foot print. Another thing the dwarf gourami will make a meal out of the shrimp. You could return all the fish and set up a shrimp only tank 10 gallons is perfect for it and they can be very interesting to watch.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IDK if my LFS does returns on fish. I'd really rather not. If a little further down the road, I feel like my community is suffering, I'll set up the 28 (perhaps 29) gallon tank I have sitting in the shed and move them. And as far as the Gourami eating the shrimp, right now he isn't big enough to get his mouth on them. I've been watching and he hasn't bothered any of the ghost shrimp that are in there. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With the ghost shrimp he might not notice them with your new shrimp he'll be able to. Just a warning.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't satisfied with the arrangement of the plants in the tank so I took all plants out, stirred up the gravel at the bottom, and ran a net around catching any floating pieces of algae left over from when I scraped it off of the walls, and go to work on putting the plants back. I arranged them so the fake plants are in the back, and they're very thick. I brought all of the live plants to the front and they will grow to be thicker. The fish seem to appreciate it, as it seems they have more cover now. It's the same number of plants, I actually took one out, but now they're thicker in spots, rather than spread out all over the tank. It looks much better. Party later, pictures probably tomorrow :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got my shipment of Neocaridina Heteropoda wild shrimp today. Counted 12 and there looked to be 2 picked clean carcasses so I'm satisfied. The gourami is leaving them alone. At first the shrimp were swimming all over the tank and I noticed quite a few times, they'd swim right up to the gourami's mouth and he'd pay them no mind. I've been busy over the last few days, but today I'm free so maybe I'll finally get around to taking some pics.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Picture Time!
    20130715_202751.jpg
    Full view of the front. Little bit of green algae on the walls but not too bad.
    20130715_202829.jpg
    One of my Oto's stuck to the front glass
    20130715_202840.jpg
    Cories grouped up in the back.
    20130715_202857.jpg
    This was supposed to be a close up of a pond snail, but you can't really see it haha. You can check out my Java fern though. Hasn't grown much since I got it a few days ago.
    20130715_203013.jpg
    Stuck to the wall is one of Neocaridina Heteropoda wild shrimp I got today.

I've got one more after these that'll be in the next post.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20130715_203151.jpg
    You can kind of see my sheepish dwarf gourami hiding in the back. The poor guy hides whenever I walk in the room. I'll get to the doorway, look in, and he'll be at the front of the tank. As soon as I step in, he darts off to the back to hide in the plants.

Apologies for the shakiness of the photographs. I didn't realize some of them were so blurry. I have a slight tremor in my hand due to a certain medicine I take, so that could explain it haha.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Snapped a few more since everyones being active tonight. It's dark in my room so I guess they can't see me sitting out in front of the tank.

20130715_215621.jpg
    Cories meandering through the small sword bed
    Edit: Just realized you can see the Dwarf Gourami hanging out in the back right haha.
    20130715_215631.jpg
    Oto's hanging out
    20130715_215654.jpg
    Much better pic of the Dwarf Gourami in his new favorite spot to sit.