· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    If you reread my post carefully, you will discover that I said it was a combination of all, not one single thing that killed your fish so yes, it would take a few days to build up and kill them. Just in case, let me spell it out for you a little more clear... QT stressed the fish, your fish went from breeder, then being shipped in a bag and dark box to the lfs, from the lfs to your QT, then to your main tank in a very short time, so many drastic changes in environment is stressful. In my opinion a week in QT is just the same as no QT at all, not as you say "better than none" as you have just found out, it can take longer than a week for an illness to manifest itself. Add to that stress medicating for no reason, anti-fungal and antibacterials are often stressful to fish. Now add the stress of living in .25ppm ammonia on top of the other two stressful situations and if you were to think about this one for a minute, tank size has nothing to do with ammonia levels to the fish, .25ppm feels the same to them if the tank is 55 gallons or 550 gallons. Then the pH issue, you were not home for 6 days and have no clue what the pH did while you were gone, additives to change pH are notoriously temporary, and if they stayed level while you are home it's probably because you are there doing frequent water changes. I know I am wasting my time trying to explain my thoughts because you so obviously know more than I and everyone else who has tried to help figure this out, so I am done here. Good luck.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you misunderstood me, and the undertone of my message. Your thoughts are valid, and considered. I already conceded to an insufficient QT time, that is now understood. I think if you had read my ealier post you would understand that my ammonia is just fine, and my ph though high is fine also. I understood very well that it may have been a combination of all these things. But all we have considered so far are stress and water parameters. what if it was something else, what if that something else is still in my tanks system; a bacteria, a fungus, a virus? that's what I was asking.

It is very humiliating enough already to ask for help on a public forum, and to ask for something more than a "you're an idiot, dont keep fish" response, without a low blow at my knowledge, and ability to read and interpret words. I would hope you're done here, because I don't want your opinion.

Good luck to you also, mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow...this got off track. I'm sorry you lost your fish. Really, it sucks when you leave and then so many die.

There may not be one reason why the fish died (I think others were trying to say this too). Unless you saw the bodies and they were showing signs of whatever affliction they had, you can't know for sure. All you can hope for is that your remaining fish stay healthy and that your tank is stable and water params are good. It is best to move on from here, IMO. I have gathered that you have identified some things that may have contributed, so that's a good thing. Nobody needs to repeat that now.

I hope everything is now all right in your tank...check all your params and fish very frequently for a while, and just make sure you add fish when you are going to be home to quarantine/watch them.

And yes, it is hard to ask for help, even on a forum. It's even harder when you feel like you've been yelled at (whether you truly have or not). You did the right thing to ask. Sorry we couldn't give you a definitive answer, but there probably isn't one in this case.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onefish-twofish
    I think you misunderstood me, and the undertone of my message. Your thoughts are valid, and considered. I already conceded to an insufficient QT time, that is now understood. I think if you had read my ealier post you would understand that my ammonia is just fine, and my ph though high is fine also. I understood very well that it may have been a combination of all these things. But all we have considered so far are stress and water parameters. what if it was something else, what if that something else is still in my tanks system; a bacteria, a fungus, a virus? that's what I was asking.
    With the limited information we have available there is no way for us to determine that. That does not exclude anyone here from pointing out other areas that have room for improvement. You can spot room for improvements right?

It is very humiliating enough already to ask for help on a public forum, and to ask for something more than a "you're an idiot, dont keep fish" response, without a low blow at my knowledge, and ability to read and interpret words. I would hope you're done here, because I don't want your opinion.

Good luck to you also, mommy1
    That you consider being on the forum 'humiliating' is some baggage you brought with you LOL but you obviously don't know how a forum works if you think you get to pick and choose who willingly responds of their own free will to try to help you resolve your issues.

Having said that:
    I suspect you will find the forum much more helpful if you try to simply look at the information being presented [It is solid info] without taking it so personally.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onefish-twofish
    what if it was something else, what if that something else is still in my tanks system; a bacteria, a fungus, a virus? that's what I was asking.

Well, the fact is that no one here can know that for sure. The only thing you can do is keep your water clean and observe your remaining fish for any symptoms of disease. Waiting one month before adding any new fish to the tank would decrease the chances of anything being left in your tank, as long as none of the existing fish show signs of being sick. In the mean time you can get more fish and keep them in your QT tank until then.

It is very humiliating enough already to ask for help on a public forum, and to ask for something more than a "you're an idiot, dont keep fish" response, without a low blow at my knowledge, and ability to read and interpret words.
    No need to feel humiliated for asking for help. You can't be expected to know everything, especially since you have not been keeping fish for a long time, and even then we all need help at times or there would be no need for this forum.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bethy Mt, King Fisher, 850R, and to all others who posted here. Thank you all very much for your input. I've learned a few things from you all, and again I thank you. I suppose I should say that I do consider it embarrassing to loose so much, and not know why, I also take losing fish very personally, because after they leave the LFS they are in my charge. Again, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If your treating for Ick always cut the medication in half for tetras, cories and loach's. Maybe you already knew this but I thought i'd toss it in.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I saw nothing here but good solid advice and people taking time to write in an attempt to help explain these deaths.

You explained the fish appeared healthy and in good condition so, I too, would have to ask why there was a reason for medicating with antifungal, anti bacterial and parasitic medications. You only use medications if you have to and know what you are treating.

You also can not use more than medication at a time. But imported fish are sensitive and don't do well with any medications. Ick can appear within 2 weeks after adding them to a tank.

Nothing is wrong with your pH. There is no reason to add a pH adjuster.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't know that steeler1, good to know, also lady hobbs very good, these are the things I needed to know

When I explained that the fish were in good health, I meant the ones in my main tank, which was all my fish before I left. the first batch of tetras I put through qt had something I assume ich, and at the time i was treating for bacteria and fungus (1 medicine) so I added an anti parasitic, and everything turned out and that batch lived for almost a month in my 55( until I left and all died) after qt, so I assumed that regimen to work. I understand now though that I was wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry but I wrote this:
    You also can not use more than medication at a time

When I meant this:
    You also can not use more than one medication at a time.

Sometimes it takes a couple stabs at this to get it right. The biggest is to not clean out or remove your filter media which will cause a lost cycle. Also, just put your high range pH tester away. You only need the regular one. Using both high and regular pH testers will only add to confusion for you. Good luck moving onward.