· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Most of my fish died, any educated guesses

0 Not allowed!
    I went away for six days to visit other family, and had family take care of my tank. All they had to do was feed, as I did my weekly water change before I left. My tank had 11 cardinals 15 neon tetras; 55 gl long. some of these were added three days prior to my leaving after a week in quarantine, and being treated as usual. the ones in the tank before i added the new group were about a month in the tank and very healthy. All fish were healthy when I left and when I got back I had one cardinal and two tetras. the family says they lost their color, starting swimming slow and died. the three I have left are very healthy and colorful. Honestly I have no idea what has killed my fish. The nitrates were normal, all other water parameters normal. I treat for five days in quarantine with an antifungal, anti bacterial and all around parasite, medication then two more days watching for sickness.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Cardinals are very delicate but neons usually take a little more to die off.

Was there a temperature change of more than 6 degrees while you were away?

I've seen Cardinal tanks at the lfs crash for no apparent reason. One day all are healthy looking and swimming nicely, the next day only a few are left with little red colouring on them.

If your parameters weren't ok I would have said an ammonia or nitrite spike.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    normally with relatives feeding I'd guess overfeeding, but if your water parameters are normal then that's not it. The only other thing that jumps out at me is that one week is a pretty minimal amount of time to be in QT. It's possible the new fish you brought in were carrying something but didn't show signs during that week. That seems like sort of a long shot, though...

Just a few other ideas off the top of my head:
    How long before you left did you do the water change? Any chance you forgot to add decholorinator or something and the fish started dying off quickly but you were already gone? (this would probably have showed up as an ammonia spike though)
    Any chance the tank went unheated for some length of time due to a power outage or something?
    Are you sure your relatives didn't decide to surprise by getting you an Oscar for christmas and adding it to the tank while you were away?
    Do you know if the fish died all at once, or over the 6 days you were gone? Any chance they did anything else to the tank without telling you?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    I will only say that 1 weeks time is not an effectively lengthy quarantine And that tripling down on meds for fish that didn't obviously need it was possibly more stressful than helpful.

Please define 'Normal' using actual numbers wrt your water parameters. Filtration?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    You also added fish just before you left. I would expect you may have had an ammonia spike or ick got the rest of them. Those fish come from the wild and also don't do well with medications......especially medications that were probably not needed.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks Strider, it's good to know that sometimes this stuff happens. I just really hate losing any fish for any reason.

after prying on the fams they told me that it started four days ago, and it happened pretty fast, with five or six at a time. The reason for adding fish and then leaving, was basically one very awesome moment of stupidity, I wasn't thinking two weeks ahead

Yes I know that 1 week is not sufficient enough time by most opinions, but 1 week is better than none. using multiple medicines, has been recommended to me, which is why I use it. I feel that after being treated for 5 days and watched for two more is enough time; I should say that I "feel", more than a week in a qt is detrimental givin that the fish receive the same treatment at the LFS store(a very reputable one I might add)then again in my tank with low lighting and no substrate. The LFS I use replaces their stock weekly, because they do a lot of business.

my water parameters are ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm, PH read 7.6 but I think that test may be faulty because the high range PH test reads 7.4, and I've been adding Ph neutral to lower it from its original 8. and yes I know thats high for tetras, but not enough to outright kill the whole school. I don't think it was an ammonia spike because the tank is very understocked, and has been established for some time. Also the tank is well planted, so my nitrates stay decent. I don't think it was ick either, i was around three days before to watch them, and they looked fine, so it was a total of six or seven days before symptoms were noticed and death occured. the ones that survived seem unaffected by ick; but I could be wrong.

I don't mean to offend anybody or be self righteous or snide,I apologize if I've offended you. I would just like to know where I went wrong or if I did. Lady Hobbs from what I gather you keep cardinals, could you describe your QT process and medications you do or dont use?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    "ammonia .25" Is your test kit old? There should be no ammonia in a stable cycled tank. .25 isn't a killer but it can go up quick without a large water change. This reading intrigues me.
    If your test kit is old you could have expired chemicals which will give you a misleading reading. But also in a cycled tank which is stable you should see 0.00 ammonia when you test.
    Cardinals, neons, and other smaller tetras dont take well to ammonia.

Was this reading after a water change or before?
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I'm Partially color blind, especially in shades of blue or green, and I always go heavy on my readings rather than lighter, just to be honest and make sure everything is on the safer side. so I'm pretty sure there is very little to no ammonia,especially given that there is only two other fish in the tank besides the aforementioned tetras.