· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default question about nitrates

0 Not allowed!
    well today is my usual weekly water change day . Last nite i tested my tank and ph 7.6 ammonia was 0 nitrite was 0 and nitrates were between 30-40 ppm i have 2 aquaclear 110's and do a 50-60 % water change a week and feed twice daily . my fish red devil is a male about 7.5 inches big and in the 55 gallon by himself . he does bury his poop though while arranging the gravel but i gravel vac every week fully . I have a feeling that my tap has nitrates in the water already so that may be why there so high at the weeks end . I will test and let you guys know the outcome . could it possibly be time to clean one of the sponges in the filters ? i haven't cleaned them since i started the tank

Default I only have seconds before Cliff gets here so I will make this quick ;-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dane
    could it possibly be time to clean one of the sponges in the filters ? i haven't cleaned them since i started the tank
    Yeah, Those TrAtes are getting up there. Testing your source water is a good idea yeah but it is DEF time to do clean the sponges.

Here's what I do once or twice a month with all my AC filter sponges:

Take them to the tub and squish them out under running warm water until they run clear. Then give them a dunk and some squishes in a bucket of dechlor water to insure no BB killing chloramines from your tap water get into your tank.

The biomax houses the majority of your BB colony so don't worry much about what you lose from the sponges. Rinsing the biomax first in that bucket while you have it handy never hurts either.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 12-29-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Dirty filter media can add nitrates to your tank. I would recommend cleaning them monthly, one each every two weeks so you can alternate the cleanings

You might also want to try two weekly 50 to 60% water changes for a while as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys for the suggestions ill clean my sponge today when i do the water change just tested my tap and its a bright orange 10 and 20 ppm look almost the same to me its not 40ppm but def 10-20 um isn't that crazy!! maybe like 15 uhhghh

0 Not allowed!
    It's not crazy at all, A lot of people have nitrates straight from the tap because of various chemicals added by the water company. Have the water co. test your water supply. My water shot up to past 40ppm after the well head shut down after Hurricane Sandy. My levels are now at under 5 ppm. There are lots of reasons you can be seeing levels like that.

0 Not allowed!
    Call it 15 & don't sweat the difference dude, Either way its not 120 you know?
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    true but could that be why my trates are close to 40ppm the night before my water change and not so much the actual waste or gunk in the filters ... gonna do the water change now see what it is after

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    850R, question; Why do you kill all the Bacteria in your Sponges when you clean? Running them under tap water will do that. Just curious.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Waits
    850R, question; Why do you kill all the Bacteria in your Sponges when you clean? Running them under tap water will do that. Just curious.
    I don't personally take care of that.. The chloramine in my tapwater does it for me.

To answer your question in 7 words: Because it makes no difference at all.

Here's the longer version:
    I am well aware that tap water kills BB [It's why I specifically emphasized the dechlor dunk after rinsing], I am also well aware that the sponges are primarily functioning as Mech filtration in an AC filter and the biomax is where the BB resides.

The BB that grows on the sponges are incidental to their primary function and are not required for the maintenance of my cycle in any way whatsoever. Been doing it this way for years with no issues whatsoever [I am not the only one who does this btw, Not that it matters].

Clean sponges are required to prevent reduction the flow of the filter .. So I clean them well.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to (850R's) the above answer. Very detailed and to the point.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.