· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a great discovery! I'm assuming that there's not another snail in hiding? If not I'd say its a big step in this hobby and the study of these snails in general.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, if there were, it's news to me. When I purchased the one I did, she came by herself. I hope to learn more about them during this project. A very interesting discovery, indeed. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed I'm a fisheries biology major and well be following your discoveries closely!
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    So, I just received my 5 Zebra Nerite snails and thankfully, they all arrived alive. Now, hopefully I can keep them that way! lol I'm a little worried, because I'm not sure how they were kept at the store. I'm hoping they were kept in brackish water, so that the acclimating process was a bit easier on them. I'm not sure how acclimating from freshwater to brackish is for these creatures. Not really sure how stressful it is for them. I'll certainly keep you apprised.

Unfortunately, I've had a hell of a time growing any plants in this tank. Apparently the Crinum "Dwarf" Onion plants I have in there are not really brackish, as they were said to have been on the site I purchased them from. Neither was my trial Hygrophila Stricta plant (not meant for brackish, but since I had an extra freebie, I wanted to give it a shot). Nope! That died within a week of the salinity increase. I'm not sure about the Tiger Lotus, yet. It has a couple of shoots w/ tiny leaves coming out of it, but nothing substantial. One of the leaves looks dead. The one I put in my 75gal freshwater looks about the same... very slow growers.

So, since I've had a difficult time with plants, I decided to do some more research. Apparently there's not much available to me in terms of choices, but there are some! Mangrove seedlings! Not only mangroves, but Eelgrass (which is impossible to find, since it's endangered) and Java Fern! Yep, Java Fern can apparently live in brackish water, as well. I just bought 14 Red Mangrove Seedlings, 20 White Mangrove Seeds (they were cheap) and 2 Java Fern plants. Why not, right?

I want the Nerite snail tank to be somewhat self-sustainable (requiring small water changes and able to provide food for the Nerites). With plants (that will grow), you can be sure to stimulate algae growth - at least that's my hope. I haven't had any success with algae, either. ;/ Funny, since both my other tanks are flooded with the stuff.

I'm a little concerned with my light bulbs now. It seems to me that it's causing my Indian Red Sword Plant to brown (like the heat is too much for it). Now, it's supposed to have reddish color, but I'm not so sure this is the red I should be getting. Of course, it could be that the browned leaves are just leaves that are melting away from the transfer from one place to another, but I don't think so. The bulb I have is a 15w (equivalent to 40w) 6500k CFL. I tried looking for a 25w equivalent or lower 6500k bulb, but couldn't find one. I found lower watt bulbs, but they're equivalent to 40-65-100, etc. Not what I'm looking for. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. =/ I'd like to do 2.5-3 wpg.

As I was writing this, I took a minute to check on my Nerites. It looks like one woke up and has decided to attach itself to one of his/her buddies. I guess we'll see what that's about later. I'm hoping the other one doesn't flop over and get stuck. lol He/she is on its' side right now. I'll take it as a good omen, since they're alive and moving about.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    So it's been 2 days. All but one of the Nerites started moving around yesterday. I threw in an algae wafer and one seemed to be drawn to it. No one seems interested in the dead plant matter or the random algae-infested leaves I threw in there. Today the last Nerite started moving around. =] All 5 are alive and well. I'm just awaiting my new plants to arrive and hopefully that can start up some good growth and possible algae growth, as well. It'd be nice, since none of the algae I've tried to introduce to the tank has taken a hold. lol I see some diatoms on the glass, but not much. Hopefully, something will start up soon. =/ I removed all of the dead plants and decaying stems from the Onion plants. There are several that still have green stems, so I'm leaving them in there for now.

I added a piece of cucumber to the tank, as well, to see if they'll eat veggies with the absence of algae. So far, it's a no-go. I also added a piece of small driftwood that I found at the Potomac last Summer. I'm hoping that'll give them something else to do and a little more coverage, since they enjoy hiding places. Of course, they really haven't ventured out very far from the place I dropped them. I wonder if the crushed coral is too difficult to crawl around.

Here's the current setup:

They're really clumsy creatures... It seems they always fall on their side one way or another (sometimes on their back). I have no idea if this is on purpose or not, but I've corrected their posture several times already. In this picture, I just left them there. It looks like the one in front who's seemingly on his side is trying to eat the softened algae wafer. It's really hard to tell.

I have half a mind to remove the coral and add gravel. I assume the hardness level would still be acceptable with the rocks I have in there. I guess only time will tell. This is an experiment after all, with the hopes of success, leading to replenishing numbers. I'm trying to mimic their natural habitat, since they move from fresh to brackish (and even salt water) on a fairly regular basis in the wild. They supposedly originate in the Carribean and southern coastal zones on rocky shores, where they would typically live on/in the rocks and eat marine algae, like seaweed. They also live in mangroves... which is why I decided to purchase mangrove seedlings. I'm hoping that might stimulate some natural behavior. =]

Anyway, there's my update for the night. I'm hoping to see some missing algae or even cucumber in the morning. I have my doubts about the cucumber, though.

0 Not allowed!
    I just added another, larger white rock to the Nerite tank. My thought process is that Nerites prefer to travel along smoother, more structurally sound materials, like rocks, the sides of aquariums, etc. I've never seen one dig in the sand and I'm thinking about where they typically live - rocky shores. While the suggestion from one site to add crushed coral for breeding purposes might make sense in some instances, I'm thinking that a gravel/sand bed would have been fine (and probably better for the plants). The addition of rocks in the tank should be plenty to address the hardness of the water. Too late now. We'll see how this does.

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a little rearrangement. It doesn't look very pretty, but the changes weren't meant to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I'm hoping this will provide more surface area for algae, plus structurally sound snail platforms. ;P

You'll notice that there are floating pieces of wood in the water. It was my intention to create more hiding places for them, stacking some sticks in the tank. Right now, they don't sink at all (not sure they ever will). The one that's sort of sunk isn't actually water logged. It's being held down by the rock on the left and the rim of the top of the tank. You work with what you got, right?

It's a little cloudy in there right now, due to the moving around of the crushed coral to place the new bigger rock.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you're piecing this all together. Can't wait for some tiny snails, you are my go to source for snail breeding as I may want to try this myself.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a challenge, man. I thought I'd be able to grow algae like nothing. lol If that were the case, I'd be set. I could easily add them to one of my freshwater tanks, which are infested with the stuff - I'm sure they'd have a field day. Unfortunately, brackish water is seemingly much more difficult to grow the stuff. I'm looking forward to the plants I purchased arriving. =/

Also.. these are very slow, odd creatures. There are times where they'll extend out of their shell and you'll think they're shriveling up and dying, but then they'll start moving/acting normally again. Sometimes they'll fall on their sides/backs and they won't turn over... other times they will. You read all this crap online about how Nerites can't right themselves, but I think that's hogwash. If I find out, I'll be sure to let you know. ;P

Edit: The Rabbits should be much easier... whenever I get them. =]
    Last edited by KevinVA; 02-11-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Rabbits, of course

0 Not allowed!
    I headed over to petsmart today and found some new food to try out: dry seaweed. =] I figure the Nerites would probably be eating this in the wild, so I might as well try it here. Unfortunately, I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to keep it on the substrate and/or something solid. It ended up crumbling, so I attempted to keep it down with a stone. We'll see how that goes in the morning.

I also took out all of the decaying plant matter today, as I received my new Java Ferns in the mail. They're situated in the tank and ready to grow. Hopefully they do ok and provide some cover for these guys, in addition to stimulating some kind of algae growth. It looks like they came with some, so there's a chance. lol

Meanwhile, no one ate the cucumber and it just wasted away in the brackish water. And when things decay in salt/brackish water, they smell really bad - even the cucumber. =X

All of the Nerites are alive and well. I do believe they're finding algae on the walls, rocks and even the driftwood I added. One of them is on the driftwood and I see white poop (I think that's what it is, anyway, and I'm not sure why it's white). He's been on there all day, making the rounds. I have another two that are climbing on one of the rocks to the right... and one who seems to find pleasure in rolling around on the substrate. They're really weird creatures. At times, they'll literally just hang out of their shell, with their bellies up. I have no idea what they're doing, but I have watched one who turned over with substrate stuck to his belly. He would sit there and work the substrate off his belly in a gooey mess. It was interesting to watch. Perhaps that's their method of rebuilding their slime coat? I keep turning them back over on their bellies, whenever I find them like that (due to what I've read online about them not being able to flip over), so I'm worried I'm doing them harm by flipping them. It could be a natural process.

Here's the tank with all of the Java Ferns strewn about. Hopefully they take to the brackish water and flourish. =]

Sorry for the horrible photo. I need to clean the outside again and taking the pic w/out lights makes for a bad pic. As you can see, they're all up and about. No one's on the substrate at the moment. The one I flipped over is the bottom one on the front glass, so maybe it's a good thing I flipped him. It's difficult to see, but there's another on the glass above him to the left, there's one on the stick behind them, and two on the far-right rock. I'm pleased to see that they're alive and getting acquainted with their new surroundings.

Next up are the mangrove seedlings (red and white). They'll be thrown in the back, where they'll hopefully provide some more creature comfort. =]