· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    A good idea! Thanks Sandz. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely sir! I just hope for the best in those snails!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Well, looks like the 5 Rabbit Snails are dead. They're developing a film around the shell entrance. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he suspects a PO worker left it out in the cold, where they probably froze... then the heat pack kicked in and melted the water.

He's willing to give me a 50% credit toward another purchase. Seems fair, since no one's at fault, really, for the DOA. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until Spring, as he doesn't want to risk another die off. I don't blame him.

So... that leaves me with two empty tanks, unless I can get the eggs from the Betta tank to hatch. I'm going to have to keep the cycle going for months, if I want to receive live creatures.

I'm hoping I don't experience the same thing with the SAEs I just ordered. UGH!$@

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so we've had some nice weather lately. Today and yesterday have been in the 60s/70s, and it's not supposed to go below 40s over the next couple weeks. SOOOOooooo... I decided to purchase 5 Zebra Nerites from Bob's Tropical Plants. Before ordering, I did ask them if they've shipped in cold weather before. I'd like to trust that I'm buying from someone who knows what they're doing, and while I have had some questionable stock from them before, I have a feeling it had something to do with my Assassin snails that made it appear that some of them were DOA.

So, I should receive them in the next few days and we can at least get half of this show on the road!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just read the whole thing, will subscribe and follow closely. Keep it up!

0 Not allowed!
    I have bought shrimp from alphaprobreeders last winter and I have never had DOA issues with tthem. They might have rabbit snails. MsJinkzed also has rabbit snail and she is good with shipping, i just never bought from her in winter yet.
    Last edited by Gogi; 01-31-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: grammar
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Gogi. I'm looking at AlphaProBreeders right now. I was just looking at MsJinkzed's stock list last night, actually. I'm just being picky with rabbit snails. I like the orange variety. haha

0 Not allowed!
    You should be picky! You are investing alot of time and energy on these projects. You should not have to settle.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    True statement. =]

0 Not allowed!
    Quick update. The Zebra Snails should arrive tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they haven't all froze to death already. lol I'll take pics of them in their new home, IF they live. It'd just be another sad day to post pictures of dead animals in someone's fish tank. ;P

In other news: I found a little surprise tonight in my 10gal Betta tank (which also houses an Orange Rabbit Snail). My Rabbit had a baby!@$ "WTH" you're asking? "I thought they were sexual creatures and not asexual," you're exclaiming?! Yeah, that's what I've read. One of two things has happened... 1. Either Rabbit snails are asexual, or 2. she was pregnant before I got her 4 months ago and just gave birth.

According to the sources I've read, Rabbit Snails (Tylomelania zemis Poso snails) only give birth to one baby snail every 5 weeks. That being the case... it's been 4 months (16 weeks). I'm not sure it's possible for the gestation period for a snail to be that long... but who knows. The mysterious rabbit snail strikes again!

Here's the babe in all his/her glory:

And here's baby's mamma:

I think this throws a stick into the spokes of what hobbyists think about the mating/breeding habbits of Tylomelania zemis Poso snails.

The plan is not to separate babe from mum. I'd like to watch them for a bit and observe their behavior. Since they have such limited offspring, I'm wondering if mom will act like she cares about it. We shall see.

Anyway, I'm pleased. =]

I still plan on purchasing multiple Rabbit snails, so I can breed them, but this definitely raises new questions.