· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, been about 3 months since I updated this thread. I guess there's a reason for that... no babies. lol

Since that's been the case, I decided to change directions a bit. For one, I've done some more reading on breeding Zebra Nerites... seems as though there's conflicting information out there about how to go about it. Apparently, there has been success with housing the snails in a freshwater tank, allowing them to lay eggs on any ornaments, removing the ornament and placing it in complete salt water and wait until the eggs hatch.

I've been working over the last week to bring the brackish tank into the freshwater realm. I'm also going to swap out the substrate with either bare-bottom or play sand, rather than the crushed coral that's in there now.

As for the rabbit snail tank, I decided to purchase some RCS (20 of them about a few weeks ago) and attempt to breed them along with the rabbits (since they're extremely slow at growing). Well, I received the 20 RCS (many were juveniles) on May 14. Now I have at least 38+ of them swimming/crawling around in there, along with my snails. It's difficult to count them all, since I have a ridiculous amount of frog bit in there, with roots hanging all the way to the substrate. That stuff grows like crazy... and looks horrible in a 10gal tank. I'm going to remove it and just grow duckweed in there, instead. Makes more sense in a smaller tank.

Anyway, I purchased a macro lens for my camera and wanted to give it a whirl. Here are my attempts in the Rabbit/RCS 10gal breeder, during feeding time.

Here's a good amount of them chowing down on some pellets:

The babies are picking up the scraps and the rabbits begin to descend into feeding territory:

Here's a close-up of the biggest rabbit in the tank:

And here you can see how my RCS treat the Rabbits... One's hitching a ride while eating a pellet on its' back (lol):

I'd post pics of the Nerite tank, but it's relatively boring - nothing's happening. When I switch things up I'll post the change.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Kevin,
    You have inspired me to set up a tank again for some of these snails! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in snail farming!
    I have done some research into nerite breeding before so feel free to ask any questions. Please keep posting!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Roachant, glad I could inspire someone. lol =]

Still no Zebra Nerite snails, yet, but my RCS population has exploded. It's literally doubled in size since a month ago and I now have about 80+. I'm going to move some of them into my 40gal breeder, where I have BN plecos, and see if I can get them going in two tanks, instead of just the one.

The Zebra Nerite tank is now completely freshwater and I'm finally getting some good algae growth in there (which should stimulate growth - the more algae the more suitable for babies, so they probably won't hesitate to lay more eggs, etc). Oh, and I'm now getting crazy plant growth, as well. My Java Ferns are propagating like I've never seen a plant propagate before... it's shooting off sister plants like there's no tomorrow. While they can live in brackish water... this never happened, so while they can survive in brackish water, I don't think they could ever thrive (the Ferns, I mean).

I think I'm going to extract one of the rocks next week and attempt to hatch some babies in a 1gal saltwater tank. We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What has become of this trip, Kevin?

0 Not allowed!
    I tossed the tanks and added the snails to my 75gal, where they are enjoying a fruitful life of much eating and plenty of space. =]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I tossed the tanks and added the snails to my 75gal, where they are enjoying a fruitful life of much eating and plenty of space. =]
    Yeah I was actually (as I had told you) considering getting some snails, but after some research I had read that the snails reproduce like crazy and changed my mind. At least, the ones at Petsmart do...

0 Not allowed!
    Mine didn't. lol

Zebra Nerites only reproduce in brackish water (or possibly full salt water). I couldn't get mine to do so and prior to trying the full salt water method, I got overwhelmed with baby crap and just threw in the towel. Now I'm just enjoying their algae eating capabilities and their snappy shells. I haven't had problems breeding Rabbit snails (which are awesome, btw), but they reproduce very slowly. I have about 5 in my 20gal Long (that started with 1 about a year ago). I have 4 in my 75gal that are juvies and still growing. So, no babies in there, yet.

You could get one Mystery snail and never have a problem. They're not hermaphroditic, so they require a male and female to breed. If you have one, they can't repopulate. Also, they're impossible to sex, so there's a possibility if you get two that they'll both be female or both be male. Their eggs are easily extracted, too, since they lay big clutches above the water line. It takes about 2+ weeks for them to hatch, so you have plenty of time to dispose of them. I say go for it once your tank is cycled. They're pretty interesting snails.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on the snail - some snails take certain conditions to reproduce like kevin said, others like the pond snail will just reproduce like no tomorrow to the point that they are considered a pest
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!