· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default Favorite Damselfish?

0 Not allowed!
    When I first got into Marine fish and nobody was using a fishless cycle, we all used damselfish to "seed" our tanks because of their toughness and hardiness.

My first seeders were yellow tailed damselfish. After awhile and many expensive books I discovered that there were many beautiful damselfish avaiable besides the ones kept at the LFS. However most of us were so into keeping the more sensative spieces and overlooked them.

I finally found these; Beau Gregory (Eupomacentrus leucostictus) and they became my favorite damselfish but I was never able to find them again and I eventually returned to freshwater tanks.

Anyway what is your favorite Damselfish?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steeler58; 12-29-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I don't keep them, but just based on looks I think it is hard to beat the humble little Blue Green Chromis.

I love Domino Damsels, too. Both as sharply colored little babies, and as duller adults with edged scales.

0 Not allowed!
    I`ve aways thought the yellow tail damsels and the blue damsels are very nice looking fish

I would not mind a aggrressive FOWLR set-up one day with a larger school of them.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen Garibaldis at my local science center aquarium and they are something to behold!

0 Not allowed!
    Garibaldi damselfish are among the best one's that I've seen (though I've never owned one); they get fairly large, the one I saw was nearly a foot long.

Appearance-wise I also like the juvenile neon velvet damsels. Here's a picture of the one I had when it was young:

Unfortunately as they mature neon velvets lose all the blue colors and nearly all the white, becoming primarily solid dull black/brown fish with faint ash markings (kind of a reverse-ugly duckling affect).

Azure damsels are probably my next favorite, they can be a pain though because they tend to bite my hand and love to dislodge new coral frags that I place in my tank:
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Garibaldi is very cool. For a while it was on the list of fish that were protected from collection.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    kaybee, your damsels look great and those pictures are awesome! Keep up the good work!

0 Not allowed!
    I've always liked the blue ones with the yellow tails, and also the all-blue ones. The black-and-white striped damsels are cool, too.

Garibaldis -- in the shallow waters off of the Pacific coast there are bright orange Garibaldis, quite common, really. The locals refer to them as "saltwater goldfish". I saw a lot of those when I lived in southern California. Not sure if the bright orange variety is also a species of damselfish, but it could get quite large and was really vibrant.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Just a few others I've never seen in LFS. I didn't know that like many Angels and othe Marine spieces the juveniles will look much different than the adults.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't like ANY damsel fish anymore. The things are terrors in a tank unless its put together with them in mind. They are canny and almost impossible to catch without having to empty your bloody tank to get at them. Plus they have a charming habit of doing their own aquascaping - which, when you have corals, is a very unpleasant habit.

Not the fishes fault, I didn't do my homework, but having had a disagreeable experience with my velvet damsel, I will never own any again.

I nicknamed mine the damn-sel fish and regretted ever getting it!

I eventually managed to catch him and traded him away for some zoa frags to a fellow who has a nice 6ft tank with other aggressive fish to keep him in line. He is doing well there, tho his new owner chirped me a bit for not telling him about the little guys aquascaping talents.