· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you are as hyped as I am LOL!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh...

I typed CFL as my lighting. It's a power compact...

I wish there was an edit option.

:(

Maybe a mod could help me out?

0 Not allowed!
    Requested edit completed
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Cliff. You are definitely a great help on this forum.

I've got some thinking to do... Spray bar.

If I decide to go with the Eheim canister filter, I've got to build a spray bar for it.

Since it's a small tank with a variable rate filter that's capable of running 158 gallons, I'm going to have plenty of water flow, and I could use the spray bar sort of like a power head. So, I was thinking that maybe I could run the spray bar like this:

If I do that, I can stagger the jets--half of the holes agitating the surface, and the other half spraying downward like a power head. With a 1/8" drill bit, I would drill 3 or so holes spraying straight out for the surface agitation, and 3 holes slightly downward (maybe 45 degrees) to circulate the water. I could always add a powerhead if I needed, but I don't think I would. That Eheim puts out a LOT of water flow. I'm using one on my freshwater tank and it does some serious work.

Or, put it right here, and have a completely separate power head:

This way is typical, but it won't kill two birds with one stone.

For those of you wondering, the spray bar will be made out of Sch 40 PVC, and will be painted black with Krylon Fusion... Unlike the bright white one in my FW tank...

0 Not allowed!
    What about a split spray bar ?

Having one spray bar at one side of the tank moving the water in one direction will not give you the best flow for a marine set-up. But if you were to use a "T" fitting and have two spray bars (one at each end) you will also get some random flow which is a lot better. Like getting two power heads for the price of one. I think that would be a pretty cool project to pull off

The below link provides a little more detail

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...nd-movement-2/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could make that with no problem. The only issue in my mind would possibly be that I have more flow on one side than the other. Of course, I could make sure everything was symmetrical. I may give it a go, but I also might just buy a nano powerhead haha.

0 Not allowed!
    You can over come that by adding ball valves, one on each line to balance the flow. It can take a little time to find the right setting, but it can be done very easy and without resitricting the flow from the canister
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-31-2012 at 05:03 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ingenious.

I have a couple of those valves laying around.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking more about it. I'm debating on just going with a 10g sump.

I'm thinking of doing a simple design as this one:

http://tylermerrick.com/blog/index.p.../diy-10g-sump/

At first, I won't have a protein skimmer. That will come down the road when I have the extra funds.

If anyone has a better design, please share.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast