· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong with using a canister filter when you also have live rock. You just have to be committed to the extra maintenance or you can easily get some increased nitrate levels. It all comes down to preference and effort sometimes

When I added a Hydor in-line heater to one of my set-ups, I have to use hose clamps to hold the hose to the filter as that ribbed plastic hose would not work with the connectors that came with the heater.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I have no clue on saltwater, but why would it be objectionable to have a canister filter in a reef system?
    Because most people believe that your nitrates should be 0ppm at all times in a reef aquarium, and canister filters harvest nitrates if not kept clean.

I have gone over 2 weeks without a water changed, and have never been able to detect any nitrates. Only calcium loss, which is to be expected. I will be testing every other day to keep track of the nitrates on the new setup.

Cliff, is there any way you can post a pic of the clamps you used for the Hydor In-Line heater? That is the one I was looking into getting.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Madagascariensis, just to add to the above, where most people object to using canister filters is were it will be the only biological filtration in the set-up. Due to routine filter maintenance, you will not allow the nitrate eating bacteria to grow as it is a lot slower growing than the ammonia or nitrite eating bacteria. When you have a good amount of live rock for your biological filtration, you will end up growing this bacteria naturally. If you complete weekly/by-weekly filter maintenance, you should aviod adding nitrates back into the water from the trapped stuff in the filter

Your corals and coralline algae still need a little nitrate to live. I like keeping mine no higher than 2ppm. Even natrial sea water in the coral reefs has at least some nitrate in it

Allan, I just used the standard stainless steel hose clamps that you buy at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. They never get exposed to the water so you don't have to worry about the material type on this specific situation.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great clarification, Cliff. I have over 32lbs of live rock in my display, and I am going to fill up 2 of the trays in my canister with rubble rocks. I think I'm set considering I have (what I think to be) a small bio-load.

If you are referring to the worm-gear type water hose clamps, I have a ton of them kicking around.

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, those are the ones

Just be careful not to over tighten them

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My water is ridiculously crystal clear today. It has never looked this good. Ever. I can't stop looking at my tank haha.

Hey, Cliff. Would you recommend me any easy to care for, cheap, SPS? Lighting requirements probably won't be an issue.

0 Not allowed!
    Birdsnest (Seriatopora Hystrix) is just about the easiest SPS to grow in my experience. But they still are SPS and need a very stable dKH, Cal. and Mag.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have a friend that has some Birdsnest. I may grab a frag when he frags it.

Nothing has changed on my tank. Just doing water changes, feeding, and topping off.

I will say that I LOVE doing water change with a canister filter. Unhook the hoses. Take the canister outside. Dump out half the water. Rinse and scrub the canister and contents. Dump out the other half of the water. Fill up the canister with new saltwater. Hook up the hoses. Done.

It used to take 30+ minutes taking buckets of water in and out. Now it takes 10 minutes tops.

Some say it is more work having a canister filter. I strongly disagree in my situation. I'm saving lot of time.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Latest update

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Loads of interest!^

/sarcasm

Picked up a nice looking head of Frogspawn last night. I'm going to give it a few days to adjust before showing it. It appears to be doing just fine in my tank.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast