· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari
    I can't wait to see what comes of this new experience for you.

good luck.
    Me, either! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    The more live rock, the better your set-up will become. I would suggest 5 to 10 lbs of live rock, and 10 to 20 of dry rock. Basically about 25% live and 75% dry for a total of around 25 to 30 lbs of rock in total

That is also a great way to cycle your tank pretty quick and easy (fishless of course).

The below links might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...-of-live-rock/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...rine-aquarium/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ne-aquarium-2/

Actually, my source of rock is going to be dry rock - Fiji Totoka. I'm getting it for $2/lbs, so I can't pass it up. What I'm wondering is, IF I do use the filter media that I listed above, will I be okay with only about 10lbs of rock? I don't mind waiting for the cycle. I am going to be seeding my filter, anyway.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Picture time.

Finished up the paint and rinsed my sand today. It's hard to see in the picture because of the lighting and reflections, but it looks really good. I can't wait to put some water in it!

0 Not allowed!
    Smart looking tank.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    If your going to be seeding your filter, then why not just seed your rock instead. It is the same thing after all as your rock is your biological filtration. And by seeding your rock, I am referring to cycling your tank. You can do that pretty easy by setting up your marine tank and then cycling with lower levels of ammonia if you do not want to buy live rock.

$2/lb for Fiji or even Totoka is one great deal. I have trouble finding that at $4/lb. I would get a whole lot of rock at that price.

ALso, just as a FYI, you can not seed a filter to be used on a marine tank by seeding it on a FW set-up. They are slightly different bacterias that complete the nitrogen cycle even tho they do a same functions. I thought I would mention that if that was what you were referring to when you said you were going to seed your filter.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Smart looking tank.
    Lol thanks!

If your going to be seeding your filter, then why not just seed your rock instead. It is the same thing after all as your rock is your biological filtration. And by seeding your rock, I am referring to cycling your tank. You can do that pretty easy by setting up your marine tank and then cycling with lower levels of ammonia if you do not want to buy live rock.

$2/lb for Fiji or even Totoka is one great deal. I have trouble finding that at $4/lb. I would get a whole lot of rock at that price.

ALso, just as a FYI, you can not seed a filter to be used on a marine tank by seeding it on a FW set-up. They are slightly different bacterias that complete the nitrogen cycle even tho they do a same functions. I thought I would mention that if that was what you were referring to when you said you were going to seed your filter.
    The reason I am leaning towards using the filter media instead of more rocks is because I'm using such a large filter, and want to get it's full potential out of it. If that sounds crazy, tell me, and I'll reconsider haha. Also, price. I try to spend as little as possible on my hobbies, but I don't want to be so cheap that I do something stupid or "wrong." In my mind, I'm thinking that I can save money, and get the same filtration capabilities by buying less rock, and using the media that I already own. Again, if this is not a good idea, tell me! ;)

I don't know why I said "Fiji Totoka." The rock I'm getting is just Totoka dry rock.

I was wondering about being able to seed a marine filter from a saltwater filter. Thanks for clearing that up, but I was going to see about getting some media from a friend who has a couple of AMAZING and big reefs.

Thanks, Cliff. The help is greatly appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenIsbell
    The reason I am leaning towards using the filter media instead of more rocks is because I'm using such a large filter, and want to get it's full potential out of it. If that sounds crazy, tell me, and I'll reconsider haha.
    IMO, I would reconsider. You can certainly have a healthy tank with a canister filter, but you will also have more than double the work and likely a lot more water changes will be required as you will not grow the nitrate eating bacteria inside filter media (it will only grow on your rocks and substrate). That would likely cost more in the long run

If you skip some maintenance (just once), you will most likely be dealing with water parameter problems. Trust me, I am going this right now with a 40 gallon QT tank that I thought I would give a canister filter a try. This darn tank is turning out to be more work than my other three tanks put together and that is just to keep the nitrates around 5ppm.

You have far less tolerances to your water parameters being off in marine tanks as compaired to FW. That is why the last thing you want to cut corners on is the filtration.

Just it some more thought and maybe read thtough a few of the marine tank journels here to see how others have set-up thier tanks
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay. I will go with more rock, then. I definitely don't want to mess anything up. Well, should I just NOT use the canister, and run a good HOB filter and about 25 lbs of rock? My two options for filters are the canister and a HOB.

I'm going to check out some journals now.

0 Not allowed!
    Chemical media like chemi-pure, carbon, or phosphate removers are all great choices for a canister or HOB filters.

0 Not allowed!
    Cool. Definitely interested in following this thread. Are you going to put vids on youtube with this tank Allen?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    Cool. Definitely interested in following this thread. Are you going to put vids on youtube with this tank Allen?
    Most definitely!

Chemical media like chemi-pure, carbon, or phosphate removers are all great choices for a canister or HOB filters.
    Okay. Thank you.