· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! My Reefbreeder Value fixture came in today!

This thing is ridiculously bright on 100%. It looks very well built, and (so far) I would recommend it to anyone.

I whipped up a (possibly temporary) hanger unit for the fixture with some things I had kicking around the garage.

Since this is a journal...

I took an old L-Bracket shelf hanger, drilled some holes to where the center of the fixture would be, and painted it satin black with some Krylon Fusion. I cut a 1x4 down to 60" and stained it with some Rustoleum Kona (basically black) polyurethane. I hope it doesn't end up being glossy. If so, I may have to pull it off and put a coat of satin clear on it. Fingers crossed. I only had to stain about 24" of the wood--The rest will be out of sight.

I am going to have the fixture right around 7" over the top of the aquarium (which is around 7.5" from the water).

If anyone has any tips as to how high I should hang the light (it looked good where I measured 7" when I was holding it over the tank by hand), let me know.

Stay tuned for my unboxing, first impressions, and function test of the fixture. We are in the new house, as some of you may notice in the video.

INEEDCORALS!!!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I got the light mounted. The mount that I made looks really good, but I can't deal with the light flooding my entire living room. I am going to be building an open top canopy for the fixture. Not sure if I said that already...

Check this out... Last night I kept the LED's on the tank, sitting on the trim from front to back. I have it on the same timer as my old light. So, I come home today after work and take a look at the tank and quickly notice that all of my Starburst Polyps are open and HUGE! All this time I thought all but a couple polyps were eaten by something, or stuck by Aiptasia enough to be killed. Apparently they are enjoying the new lights!!!!!!

I will have the light comparison video up tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Light comparison video:

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up a couple frags yesterday. A GSP and a Kenya Tree. Within the hour, the GSP's were wide open and enjoying the new home. I'm not sure how to tell if a Kenya Tree is happy or not. Any tips?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    The Kenya Tree will open and look like a real tree if it's in a good spot. If it doesn't like the light or current or water conditions it will get all balled up and really small. Don't worry if at lights out it goes small, mine does every night.
    Some say that the Kenya Tree is a great coral to have in a tank because it will let you know if something is off with your water parameters. It will be the first to retract.
    This is what mine looks like when it's happy.
    http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...9/SAM_1166.jpg

That was a few months ago, today it's alot higher with more branches. These like medium current, medium lighting. Make sure it's not rubbing against another coral or rock when it's swaying in the current.
    Last edited by Strider199; 08-19-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, Srider. Thanks for the reply! I didn't notice that anyone hit me back on here until just now.

My Kenya Tree is wide open every day, and loves the tank. I don't know the growth rate of the Kenya Tree, but it sure seems to be getting big fast. It is about the size of a golf ball during the day with the lights on.

My GSP's are doing great, too! They look so awesome under the actinic lights.

I will have to post some pictures soon! My tripod took a crap on me, so until I fix that, I'm not going to be shooting tank pictures.

I did do a test time-lapse of the GSP's opening up the other morning. It turned out pretty cool. It is awesome to watch them slowly open, one at a time. I am going to redo the time-lapse and post it up. I also plan on doing one for the Kenya Tree, as it doubles in size when it blooms.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the time lapse pics
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing the update.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to mention that I picked up a Peppermint Shrimp on the same day that I bought the frags to aide my Aiptasia problem.

3 days later my tank was Aiptasia free.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast