· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally getting coralline algae on my rocks! I moved my powerhead really close to the rock that has coralline algae on it, and within one day I am seeing it pop up all over the rocks on the left side of the tank. I am going to add a 2nd powerhead that I had kicking around to the right side of the tank to help spread the coralline on that side, too.

I am moving at the end of July and I plan to make some changes during the move:

1. Start fresh with a brand new 20H tank. (My current tank has scratches everywhere...)
    2. Take off the top trim. (Based off lots of research...it is safe on tanks that don't require a middle support.)
    3. Paint the back black rather than blue. (Big mistake, but personal preference.
    4a. Get a new bulb for my 65w PC fixture. (10,000k/420nm - -Don't know age of current bulb.)

OR

4b. Get the Reefbreeders Value LED fixture.

Once that is said and done, I will continue adding coral to the tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello to all Youtubers, and welcome to yet another video brought to you by newyorkst... Just kidding. Love that guy.

Well, I have found my first "issue."

When I first got my Starburst Polyps, I say small "baby polyps" growing around them. I thought they were spreading. Oddly, the SBP starting to disappear. I saw a snail run over the frag, and I assumed that he was the issue.

That was back about a week after adding the SBP frag.

Now, I saw these "baby polyps" in a couple of different places on my rocks. Looking closely, I THINKit is Aiptasia. If it is, that would definitely explain why my SBP are so small and not spreading.

If it turns out to be Aiptasia, I'm getting a Peppermint Shrimp and letting it take control. I'm not going to reach in my tank to remove it...I'm not that worried about it right now. My main focus is to keep doing my water changes and maintaining the tank until we move at the end of next month. I can't wait!

New to come with the move: New Deep Blue tank (rimless conversion), and soon after, LED's!

The Coralline is growing like mad! Spots of it are everywhere!

Overall, I am extremely happy with my tank, even though it is ugly (to me, at least). Again, I hate the blue background, Hate the green on the rocks (slowly going away.) My water parameters are always great. Doing 10% water changes every week keeps my calcium over 420 at all times. Other than the initial cycle, I have not been able to trace any nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia in my tank. The rock and skimmer are doing their job wonderfully.

When I get the new tank, I am going to buy the Black Magic cling on window tint, and tint the back as dark as I can. I don't want to deal with painting another tank. I can double layer the tint if I need to.

I hope everyone's tanks are doing great!

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear the tank is doing well.

How big is the new tank going to be ? Sorry if you already stated that and I missed it

Just a word of warning on the peppermint shrimp, sometimes they will not eat any aiptasia. I tried four of them once and neither one of them when near the aiptasia. I had to get rid of the aiptasis the old fashion way, nuke them with a small blast of aiptasia destroyer.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's the same size tank, just the Deep Blue brand. Black silicone, rimless, and no scratches. Mine has tons of scratches and haze on it. I couldn't see it until the tank was already set up.

I hope the shrimp work for me!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Good choice going with the LED set-up. I love mine.
    A scratched front glass would be awful. I have a couple of scratches from the substrate in mine. I wasn't careful enough when using my mag-float to clean the glass. Using something like Black Magic tint on the back of the tank gives you alot more control then painting it. I painted one of my tanks once, never again.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I know it was a couple of months ago that you posted about having green algae issues, but I would be willing to be they will continue. You used play sand in your setup. Not a good idea at all. Play sand compacts way too much and is not suitable for marine tanks. Furthermore it is usually slammed full of phosphate. It may look good to start, and it may even look good for a few months, but in the long run, it will cause problems.

As for the shrimp, you have to know exactly what you are looking for. There are ~3 different kinds of shrimp that get labeled as "Peppermint Shrimp" but only 1 of them will eat Aiptasia. Lysnata californica is subtropical and does not eat Apitasia, Lysnata wurdemanni will eat Aiptasia and sometimes small polyps, and Shrimp of the Rhynchocinetes genus won't touch Aiptasia either but will irriatate your Zoanthids and other polyps enough that they won't spread much. All 3 of these get labeled as Peppermint Shrimp so getting the right one is imperative if you want Aiptasia cleaned up.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    Good choice going with the LED set-up. I love mine.
    A scratched front glass would be awful. I have a couple of scratches from the substrate in mine. I wasn't careful enough when using my mag-float to clean the glass. Using something like Black Magic tint on the back of the tank gives you alot more control then painting it. I painted one of my tanks once, never again.
    I can't wait to try out the LED's. I am sick of this PC light...

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb View Post
    Well, I know it was a couple of months ago that you posted about having green algae issues, but I would be willing to be they will continue. You used play sand in your setup. Not a good idea at all. Play sand compacts way too much and is not suitable for marine tanks. Furthermore it is usually slammed full of phosphate. It may look good to start, and it may even look good for a few months, but in the long run, it will cause problems.

As for the shrimp, you have to know exactly what you are looking for. There are ~3 different kinds of shrimp that get labeled as "Peppermint Shrimp" but only 1 of them will eat Aiptasia. Lysnata californica is subtropical and does not eat Apitasia, Lysnata wurdemanni will eat Aiptasia and sometimes small polyps, and Shrimp of the Rhynchocinetes genus won't touch Aiptasia either but will irriatate your Zoanthids and other polyps enough that they won't spread much. All 3 of these get labeled as Peppermint Shrimp so getting the right one is imperative if you want Aiptasia cleaned up.
    The green algae is going away pretty quickly now that the purple coralline has started spreading. When I move, I am going to change my sand, too. I am moving everything to bags and buckets, and trashing the tank and sand. I haven't made my mind up on what brand to get. Any suggestions would be great. I hope I don't lose any livestock if I get a mini-cycle...

Thank you for the tips on the shrimp!

0 Not allowed!
    If you keep your rock in SW the whole time and use new dry/dead sand in the new tank, you won't get a mini cycle. I've up-graded / moved tanks twice now with never a problem when I followed those two simple things. You can also add a bacteria supplement after the move if you are concerned.

Carib Sea makes some nice looking dry marine sand.

http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_mar...strate_dry.htm

I has used a black live sand sold by Carib Sea in my 180, but I washed it very well before using it so it was basically dead sand when I put it in the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips, Cliff. We are moving this weekend. I can't wait to get this tank re setup.

Honestly, I am disgusted with this tank at the moment. Red and green hair algae are showing up, and I think it is because my bulb is so old. There are air bubbles on the red algae, too. Any idea what that means? Is it typical?

I am going to keep the rocks in SW the whole time, but I am going to scrub the algae off, or attempt to, right before putting it back into the tank. I was planning on replacing the light fixture right when I moved, but we bought a new living room set--and that set me back a bit.

Livestock wise, the tank is doing great. I had a hermit crab die. Not sure why, but I just left it in there. Nitrates never budged beyond 0ppm. This tank has been GREAT as far as keeping itself stable goes. I have been 3 weeks on this water change, with no problems (other than algae, and that happened with weekly 20% changes).

Coralline has spread like mad. It is taking over most of the green algae, but I think the lights are promoting more green than purple right now. I am going to throw a new bulb in there to hold me over until I get the LEDs.

Are there any methods as to basically nuking live rock? The green algae isn't growing, it is actually receding very slowly. With that being said, could I take out a rock at a time and completely restore it back to white? That would give a fresh start. If I could do this every couple of weeks or so, one rock at a time, that would be amazing. The green is a HUGE eyesore.

I doubt I would create a mini-cycle considering how much rock:water I have. I have about 34lbs of liverock in there. Water displacement with the rocks, powerheads, 1" of sand probably puts me around 16 gallons if I had to guess. So, I am pretty much 2lbs/gallon+ as far as biological filtration goes.

Sorry for the book. Any input?

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time and re-cure it in complete darkness, you will get rid of the algae and any trapped nitrates and/or phosphates that might be in the rocks helping the algae. You may have to complete a few water changes and you will have to keep the oxygen levels good A 5 gallon bucket with a lid and a small hole for a airline should work if you want to do this one rock at a time, and keep your BB alive.

More info below should you like additional details

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/cur...ine-aquariums/

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast