· Tropical Fish Food
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    New video update!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think this thread is dead haha.

I have an idea. I am wanting to get rid of the HOB power filter, but I want to run my Chemi-Pure Elite. I am thinking about putting the CPE in the return chamber of my AquaC Remora protein skimmer.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would tie a piece of fishing line to it so I could get it out.

Suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    The pre-filter assembly might work for that. The only risk would be if the media would slow down the flow into the skimmer. I might be worth a try if it won't cost a lot of money

I would keep the HOB tho. I would not want to give up that extra flow if it was my tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good point about the flow, Cliff. I might just grab another koralia power head, stick the carbon in the skimmer's return chamber, and see how it all pans out.
    Last edited by AllenIsbell; 03-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I am messing around with UStream. I am using my phone to live stream a shot of my tank.

Check it out if you're bored. It's 8:00pm here right now, and I will leave it on for an hour or so.

Here is the link.

http://ustre.am/V1pr

0 Not allowed!
    If you put the chemipure in the return chamber of the skimmer, I would suggest keeping a very very very close eye on it. If it slows down the flow or if it becomes clogged, your skimmer pump will still keep pumping forcing the water out of the cup an on to the floor. I know a guy would ended up empting half his tank when his HOB skimmer retrun became clogged. It cost him all of his SPS.

It might still be a better idea to put it in the prefilter box (assuming it fits and won't effect the flow)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch. Hmmm...

Maybe I will wait until I get the HOB refugium to go messing with stuff.

I have some odd looking algae on my sand. Maybe I should get an Emerald Crab to take care of it?

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like the beginnings of some type of macro algae

A Emerald or hermit crab should work nicely to clean that up.

Great idea with the refugium as well

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Looks like the beginnings of some type of macro algae

A Emerald or hermit crab should work nicely to clean that up.

Great idea with the refugium as well
    Quick update: I did get an Emerald Crab. It took care of the algae on the sand. I also got a larger CUC. Including more snails and hermits, and a Serpent Star. I also picked up a Ocellaris Clownfish.

I will be streaming my tank via Ustream for a bit if anyone is interested. I am using my phone to do it, so it's not going to last all day. Heck, I may go out and buy an HD webcam to stream 24/7 with.

Here is the link:

http://ustre.am/V1pr

Enjoy!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Checking back in with you guys.

I switched to using Red Sea salt because my LFS sells it already mixed @ 1.025sg for $1.25/gallon. I have read reviews where some people hate it, and some people love it. I did my first 20% water change with it, and have had no ill affects so far. Calcium is reading 420 without supplementing anything.

I seriously think my turbo snail has killed my Starburst Polyps. One day I saw him run over them. The next day a huge chunk of them were missing. Another day I saw him do it again. At that point, 75% of them were gone. Now there are only just a couple of polyps left, and they are super tiny. I doubt they will make it... All water parameters are fine, so I can't assume that the problem lies there. Especially since I watched the snail bulldoze right through the frag.

Yesterday I added a Blue-Green Chromis. Those fish look so cool to be a $6 fish. He is silvery if I am looking up at him, blue and silver if I am perpendicular to him, and gets a nice blue/green haze to him if I am looking down on him. I am working on getting some pictures, but the Chromis is still camera shy. I may sit my camera up on a tripod near the tank to get him used to it.

Everything else in the tank is doing great.

FINALLY, I got a proper ID of my urchin--Needle Urchin

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...80&pcatid=3080

It was sold to me as a "Pencil Urchin." I later looked at pictures, and realized that it was definitely NOT a Pencil Urchin. I should probably tell the LFS that they are wrong.

I am starting to see Coralline algae on my filter return, intake, heater, and my powerhead. I hear that urchins eat Coralline, so I am working on giving mine away. I don't see him often, anyway. He comes out at night...and that's no fun.

I regret painting my back glass blue. I should have gone with black. I am debating on trying to find a rimless tank with the same perimeter dimensions as my tank to replace mine with. I couldn't tell until I got the tank filled with water, but it has a ton of small scratches that really make it look bad when you are up close. If I can't find a rimless tank, I'm going to just get a Deep Blue 20g.

I plan on upgrading my lighting to the Reefbreeder Value fixture. I know it's overkill, but the LED's are dimmable, so I'm not worried about it, and I have room to grow if I want to get a bigger tank.

If I get bored tomorrow, I will make a new video update. The tank is a lot more active, so if anyone wants me to do any live streaming, let me know and I will work out a time that I can do it. I use my phone...so the time-frame that I can stream is pretty narrow.

I hope everyone's tanks are doing great!

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast