· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default AllenIsbell's Marine Aquarium Experience

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, all.

When I first got back into wanting aquariums about a year ago, my main goal was to build a marine aquarium. Just a basic, relatively small, FOWLR aquarium.

Instead I took the planted freshwater route. See thread here:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=99691

The freshwater aquarium is lots of fun, but I want to step a little outside of my comfort zone with the next "build."

Here's what I got:

Tank
    20 gallon glass aquarium (24 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 16 3/4")

Lighting
    CustomSeaLife 24" 65w x2 power compact (One white bulb, one blue) Not sure of the exact model. Can't find too much info on it. Since I know how to wire up LEDs, the moon lights are going to be the same custom deal I did on the freshwater aquarium. See link above for that...

Filtration
    Eheim Professional II 2028 with custom PVC plumbing - No powerhead at first because I anticipate that the Eheim (having a variable flow rate) will move enough water to suffice).

Heater
    Rena Cal Top Light Excel 100w

Substrate
    Quikrete Premium Play Sand

Rock
    Maybe Totoka. Still not 100% on my source at this point.

Fish/CUC
    No idea, yet. Suggestions?

The Build
    Well, I picked up the tank, some HOB filter, some heater, test kits, hydrometers, specimen container, lights, etc... off of craigslist for $40. I think I got a pretty darn good deal...

Today, I filled the tank to check for leaks. Seems fine. I then cleaned the glass. As of right now, I am about to go put the last layer of paint on the rear panel. Krylon Fusion blue. Looks awesome. I can't wait to see the sand and blue contrast with the lights. It's gonna be beautiful.

If you know me, you know that I LOVE posting tons of pictures. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until tomorrow when I have better lights to do so. As for now, send me some tank occupants suggestions!
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-15-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Good on you to venture into the Marine world. It's come a long ways since I did it years ago.

There are some attractive damselfish that get overlooked, colorful wrasses that stay small and a few pigmy angelfish that would work in this size tank. Plus all the shrimp and the like I never got into.

Very detailed post the way.

I'm sure Cliff will weigh in to help you out.

Good luck and have fun.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    If you are planning to add corals, I would suggest upgrading the lighting

As for fish suggestions here are a few to consider: Oscellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), Longspine Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha), and most of the gobys like the Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula) are are indivdual options that could work in a tank you size. Those would be about the best options (IMO) for a tank your size

As for your CUC, snails like Spiny Star Astraea (Astraea phoebia), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.) and Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus) are all options that should work as well

I would also suggest a refactormeter instead of a hydrometer. It is not uncommon to find that hydrometers can be out by as much is 0.003 which can cause swings in your pH and other paramteres. Refactormeters are much more accurate

What were you planning to run in the filter ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Oh this thread will be interesting. Subscribed.

I think in a few years I will be trying this myself so I look forward to how this progresses.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Oh this thread will be interesting. Subscribed.

I think in a few years I will be trying this myself so I look forward to how this progresses.
    Yeah, I have been itching to get this going for some time now! The progress won't be in too big of a hurry, though.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler1
    Good on you to venture into the Marine world. It's come a long ways since I did it years ago.

There are some attractive damselfish that get overlooked, colorful wrasses that stay small and a few pigmy angelfish that would work in this size tank. Plus all the shrimp and the like I never got into.

Very detailed post the way.

I'm sure Cliff will weigh in to help you out.

Good luck and have fun.
    I will be checking out the fish you mentioned. I definitely want to get some fish with some colors that stand out. I'm sure I'll have a couple of clown fish... I just love how they look!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    If you are planning to add corals, I would suggest upgrading the lighting

As for fish suggestions here are a few to consider: Oscellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora), Longspine Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha), and most of the gobys like the Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula) are are indivdual options that could work in a tank you size. Those would be about the best options (IMO) for a tank your size

As for your CUC, snails like Spiny Star Astraea (Astraea phoebia), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.) and Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus) are all options that should work as well

I would also suggest a refactormeter instead of a hydrometer. It is not uncommon to find that hydrometers can be out by as much is 0.003 which can cause swings in your pH and other paramteres. Refactormeters are much more accurate

What were you planning to run in the filter ?
    As of right now, I don't plan on adding any corals. I will be going with a T5HO system if I do, though. I have done TONS of research on saltwater aquariums, as they were my main interest when I started to want to get back into fish-keeping.

Thank you for taking the time to post all of those fish. I can't wait to start picking them out!

I live near a place that sells CUC combos where you tell them what size aquarium you have, and they will bundle you up a good CUC for a discounted price. I will consider getting a refractometer. I've got to do some research on them to see what's worth paying for, and what's not.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations and help so far. Very much appreciated!

As for updates on the build, today I plan on building the spray bar and painting it.

What do you guys think, should I paint it black, or blue to match the blue background?

Pictures should be coming along today.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, what do I plan on running in the filter? Well, I have tons of bioballs, filter floss pads, sponges, crushed media rocks, carbon, and ceramic rings. I don't know what variation I'm going to use. Probably just the same thing I have on the freshwater tank. A tray of bioballs, 2 trays of ceramic rings, carbon, filter floss, and a sponge.

If you can suggest a better variation, let me know!

0 Not allowed!
    I would not use any biological filter media at all if you are already planning to have live rock in this tank. Biological filter media will require a lot of extra maintenance or it will add a lot of nitrates to your set-up. It's extra work you don't need as with enough live rock, you will get all the filtration that you need already.

Carbon or products like chemi pure would be a good addtion to use in the canister to help your set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know. Well, how about this. What if I only use about 10 lbs of live rock? Or any lesser amount?

0 Not allowed!
    The more live rock, the better your set-up will become. I would suggest 5 to 10 lbs of live rock, and 10 to 20 of dry rock. Basically about 25% live and 75% dry for a total of around 25 to 30 lbs of rock in total

That is also a great way to cycle your tank pretty quick and easy (fishless of course).

The below links might help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...-of-live-rock/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...rine-aquarium/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...ne-aquarium-2/

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't wait to see what comes of this new experience for you.

good luck.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice