· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I was referring to the silicone the manufacture used to hold the frame to the glass. DO NOT remove the silicone that it between the glass.

WHen the tank was made, they started with a light layer of silicone between the glass to hold the glass together. In larger tanks, this is a special type of silicone. Next they will add other silicone to hold the top and bottom fram pcs to the glass. Last, they will add a additional beed of silicone to the insode seals of the tank to add extra sttrenght and ensure leak proof seams. I might be remembering the exact order incorrectly, but you get the idea here.

Don't worry

There are also a lot of videos on you-tube for this as well. Just incase I am not explaining all of this well enough
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "first off, new free aquarium I was gonna pick up has pieces of the black trim at bottem peeling off"

Do you know the make of tank as that could help, you say trim (not frame) is this a trim that is stuck to the glass but doesn't go under the tank ? If so you could cover it with tape.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't even bother with the penguins for filtering. A tank that large will need a couple canister filters.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for all your help

lady hobbs, i am going to be doing an aquatop for now(fx5 soon), 2 AC110s and the good ole sponge filter. penguins and tetras can always be used for somthing else and without lids, it annoys me, found the penguin lids though, doubtfull that tetra makes replacements.

Scotch- she said trim, I assume it is the black plastic stuff on the bottem on the bottem of tank, was told it was to make tank look nice(by her) i wrote here again this morning and she swears it doesnt leak. Said shed fill the bottem up a foot since her husband isnt there to help siphon it out. She really is a nice person. She said when her husband found the peel, he drained the tank, even though it didnt leak and re silicone the inside, doubt that helped or hurt anything. IMO after worrying was over. I did google it a bit and found a few people leave it along if it dont effect bracing, I just wonder if she fills it up, will it be a slow leak, i wont notice or bust like hell once it filled and running for a few days.

and cliff thanks, last night I was biting nails, it is indeed the foot print of a 125, and i will look for them up
    Last edited by Angelfish11788; 12-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can build a wooden frame matching your cabinet to cover it if its not structural or get a roll of insulation tape wide enough, whatever you do it would be a bargain

I'm with LH on the filters. 2 cannisters would be the smart move unless you have a smaller tank to use as a sump
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am about to leave to pick it up, it comes with a stand. this will be in the bottem finished bonus of the split level so more my man cave so the strip missing doesnt bother me, unless it leaks, pic as soon as i can to get the yall real opnion,I just dont want to fill 125 gallons up to see if it leaks in one spot, but hey, guess i will

0 Not allowed!
    The frame helps support the seams. Not sure how it could have gotten so broken up unless it was dropped. I would fill the tank outside and let it sit there for a week to watch for leaks. If she just added more silicone without removing the old, it would not work or stick to the old stuff. I'm not sure why she would add more silicone unless it had a leak, really. That sounded kinda of odd, I thought.

But congrats on the nice big tank. I hope it works just wonderful for you and even if it is free, it's worth some work being put into it if needed.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am about to leave to pick it up. i will, also yall keep saying frame. is frame and trim the same. yea it was odd that she tried to re-seal after to talking and emailing her a buch, i think she did it to be careful, she said it paranoid her.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Is it a trim pc, or a frame pc ?

A frame pc will have one or two cross braces which provides needed support to the tank .

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    I am about to leave to pick it up. i will, also yall keep saying frame. is frame and trim the same.
    No, they are two different things as already posted in this thread. Trim is there for looks only while frame pcs will keep the tank from falling apart over time.

Worse case situation for you right now is that the tank has a broken frame pc which needs replacing and you need to replace the outer seal of the tank. Frame pcs are not that expensive and you should be able find a supplier on google or get one directly from a tank manufacture.

Replacing the outer seal is real easy to do and I normally replace the outer seal on all used tanks that I buy just so I have a pc of mind knowing it will not leak

Even your worse case situation gives you a great tank really cheap

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=52239
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am seeing this as walking out the door, i swear my head is a cloud, sorry yall, I will just post a pic, so yall know extactly what i am talking about, then we will go from there.

cliff, i swear i am not an air head,