· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default ugggghh. I need some help guys tank trim and filters oh my

0 Not allowed!
    first off, new free aquarium I was gonna pick up has pieces of the black trim at bottem peeling off. giver say that she has pics of it holding water. ok, not that i wanna argue with a person giving a 125 way. problem is it is a long drive in a truck that drinks gas. After all this hype and planning i feel crushed. as she is is giving it away; i feel bad to tell her to fill it up and to be honest, I am not sure she or me know what to look for on spur of the moment. So does trim affect seal. She tells me that when it started peeling the drained tank and added extra sealent to be sure. also if it doesnt leak with seal missing is it halfway to a leak?? or "damaged goods".

second question. my Aunt found a few HOB filter that work at a yarsale, all penguin 350s with no lids. as i take the motor off to clean them.( I did not know you could do this till tonight as i was fiddling with them and got it off) i look at the model number and kind.. It as follows e63138: Model T3. ok so i go online to look for lids. all i can find is tetra t3. This filters have slots for bio-wheels and looking at tetras filters, i have yet to see one with bio-wheel. I feel lost on both. exspecially on the 125. I dont want it to burst in my living room.

0 Not allowed!
    Is it a trim pc, or a frame pc ?

A frame pc will have one or two cross braces which provides needed support to the tank

It won't cost too much just to replace the frame pcs (top and bottom) along with resealing the tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff

A frame pc will have one or two cross braces which provides needed support to the tank

It won't cost too much just to replace the frame pcs (top and bottom) along with resealing the tank.

trim along the bottem, so it can be done, will it less the strengh of the tank, I mean does make back to 100% or get the job done, if ya know what i mean

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure what you mean

But is the manufacture put frame pc on the bottom, I would think they did it for a reason. I would replace it. You can order the standard sizes on line from places like glasscages.com
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    My moms bf has 2 tanks a 55 and 29. The bottom black frame was broken off ( both tanks had 1 side peice broken off.). All he did was super glue it back together and called it a day. 4 yrs down the road no problem. But those are smaller and im not sure how bad its broken either. But i saw how tanks are made and it looks like the bottom frame is just to make the assemblers life easier and prevent the bottom glass from chipping or damaging. So wat im trying to say is, i would buy the tank and look at the replacement frame like cliff said. If its too far out of ur budget it might be fixable urself....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    But is the manufacture put frame pc on the bottom, I would think they did it for a reason. I would replace it. You can order the standard sizes on line from places like glasscages.com
    +1 to this!

They are not expensive at all and even if they were they would still be cheaper than fixing the damage 125G of water can do. This alone = Case Closed IMO.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, will look at getting a new frame, yes the tank is free, so yea. It is the black trim along the bottem of the tank. broke in small odd pieces, would I have to strip the whole thing, i cant see the new pieces fitting in with odd broke off pieces

0 Not allowed!

A frame pc will have one or two cross braces which provides needed support to the tank .

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    I am about to leave to pick it up. i will, also yall keep saying frame. is frame and trim the same.
    No, they are two different things as already posted in this thread. Trim is there for looks only while frame pcs will keep the tank from falling apart over time.

Worse case situation for you right now is that the tank has a broken frame pc which needs replacing and you need to replace the outer seal of the tank. Frame pcs are not that expensive and you should be able find a supplier on google or get one directly from a tank manufacture.

Replacing the outer seal is real easy to do and I normally replace the outer seal on all used tanks that I buy just so I have a pc of mind knowing it will not leak

Even your worse case situation gives you a great tank really cheap

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=52239
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-28-2012 at 03:47 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am seeing this as walking out the door, i swear my head is a cloud, sorry yall, I will just post a pic, so yall know extactly what i am talking about, then we will go from there.

cliff, i swear i am not an air head,

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    here is what i am talking about, also is this stand homemade, never seen a stand like that in a lfs. everyone left that helped me carry it so i had to take a pic as best as i could, i cant move it much