· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First Saltwater Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a 16 gallon bowfront on craigslist that's already set up for saltwater, for sale for $75. This sounds like a good deal, I just want to do soft corals and possibly one fish. I've been researching for awhile and I take care of the salt tank at my job, so I'm comfortable with the daily maintenance.

I guess my question is, does this sound like a good deal? Here's the ad:
    http://albany.craigslist.org/pet/3558952728.html
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I love this part of the add.
    water has been established for 2+ yrs
    Looks like the only difference between this set-up and a a fresh water set-up is the salt in the water. If $75 is a good deal for any 16 gallon bow front tank with out a stand then that it is a good deal. But I would not consider this a complete marine set-up.

IMO, this set-up is greatly lacking a lot of other things you would need for a long-term healthy set-up for soft corals.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    See if the seller can clarify the type/wattage of light fixture. Either way its a decent price, but if there is a decent fixture, it is a steal.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    See if the seller can clarify the type/wattage of light fixture. Either way its a decent price, but if there is a decent fixture, it is a steal.
    That's exactly what I did haha. The hood looks like your standard hood so I'm waiting on an email back on what kind of lighting he's using.

Thanks guys =) Do you think this is an okay size tank for a "first" salt tank. I know bigger is better, more room for error etc but I live in an apartment and don't have the room for a big tank and I don't ever want to have to move a giant saltwater tank.

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you do your research you should be fine. No skipping maintenance, be very careful not to overfeed, and pay strict attention to your water parameters for the first few months. Add fish more slowly that you would to a freshwater tank after a cycle and you will be just fine. I started with a 10g and if you stay on top of it there wont be many issues.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you do your research you should be fine. No skipping maintenance, be very careful not to overfeed, and pay strict attention to your water parameters for the first few months. Add fish more slowly that you would to a freshwater tank after a cycle and you will be just fine. I started with a 10g and if you stay on top of it there wont be many issues.
    Thanks for the info! Will do.

Here's the guys response on the lighting:
    "its a current... with 2 bulbs 10k and actinic"

What do you guys think?

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the wattage that is a good bulb setup for softies. You could do most mushrooms and zooanthids fairly easily. Might have to elevate them in the tank higher up on some LR if they aren't getting enough lower in the tank.

See if he can look on the bulbs and tell you the wattage.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the wattage that is a good bulb setup for softies. You could do most mushrooms and zooanthids fairly easily. Might have to elevate them in the tank higher up on some LR if they aren't getting enough lower in the tank.

See if he can look on the bulbs and tell you the wattage.
    "t5 18 watts... no live rock... has filter, fluval heater and osallating power head... yellow watchman goby and a couple snails and a piece of decor"

Any opinions?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming there is a 10k 18w bulb, and an actinic 18w, giving you 36 of 50/50. I'd say you shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you elevate off of the ground a bit. Definitely invest in some live rock.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming there is a 10k 18w bulb, and an actinic 18w, giving you 36 of 50/50. I'd say you shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you elevate off of the ground a bit. Definitely invest in some live rock.
    Sounds like a plan, lots of liverock :) I plan on adding a protein skimmer as well, thinking maybe the Sera one?

I just want to do some soft corals and possible add a yellow striped Cardinal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast