· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Stocking 65 gallon Roseline Shark tank!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, I know this is a general question but, I enjoy seeing everyone's suggestions to give me ideas.

Stats:

65 gallon 4' long tank
    2 Bio wheel filters rated for 50 gallons each.
    Power head
    Tahitian sand (black)
    Drift wood, and I am going to make this a planted tank in the near future. Also will be replacing fake decorations with more drift wood. ( I am tired of the fake stuff)

I currently have 6 Roselines, some shrimp and a electric blue crayfish. There is a Dwarf Gouramis but he may be moved to another tank depending on tank mates chosen for this tank.

Lets see some ideas, here is a current picture of my setup...(newb tank) Thanks everyone!!

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    What are your water stats (pH and hardness)?

That tank will look excellent with real plants - they'll really stand out against the black sand.

Given you have roselines (lovely active fish, but be aware they get pretty big!) I'd recommend a few things for the bottom half of the tank. How about a large school of cories? You could keep a few rams in there with roselines, they're really popular on this forum (and I wish I had a spare tank for some!)

How fast is your current in the tank? Roselines like something to swim against.

Rainbowfish might work well if you plant the tank up heavily.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowerthnyou99
    65 gallon 4' long tank
    2 Bio wheel filters rated for 50 gallons each.
    Power head
    Tahitian sand (black)
    Drift wood, and I am going to make this a planted tank in the near future. Also will be replacing fake decorations with more drift wood. ( I am tired of the fake stuff)
    Honestly, you don't have enough filtration for that size tank - generally, it is recommended to have enough filtration for at least double the size of a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Honestly, you don't have enough filtration for that size tank - generally, it is recommended to have enough filtration for at least double the size of a tank.
    Good point, I missed this. As they grow you'll see your water quality suffer.

I'm not keen on HOBs for tanks this size - have you considered using a couple of large cannister filters (e.g. Eheim Classics? Fluvals?)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I have the head with lower speed propeller on the power head as you can see to the right. I had the turbine style? with the big propeller but I got nervous as a few of the Roselines were curious and almost got sucked in ( they are still small.)

I do like the Cory's I used to have the Albino Cory cats and they were crazy flying all over the tank.

As for my pH level. When I tested it, it falls right between my test solutions for low pH and high Ph on my API kit. I would say it is in the 7.3-7.4 range.

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I have the head with lower speed propeller on the power head as you can see to the right. I had the turbine style? with the big propeller but I got nervous as a few of the Roselines were curious and almost got sucked in ( they are still small.)
    You should have the intake of the powerhead covered or caged (like the marine-style powerheads you see). There should be no chance of anyone getting sucked in then.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp

To andreahp and ~firefly~ 100% agree, I was given this tank as a gift and had a seeded filter already so I put a second for the time being. At the first of the year with tax returns I will be investing in a Rena, or Eheim!! So well before these fish start to grow.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    You should have the intake of the powerhead covered or caged (like the marine-style powerheads you see). There should be no chance of anyone getting sucked in then.
    It did come with a cage, but with the size (1.5"-2") of the Roselines and there torpedo shape they can fit through the cage especially with the suction of the propeller. I may try it out again as the power head alone put a great current in the tank and they seemed happy with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Cool. I'd be interested to see more photos when this tank progresses and you choose what to add to it.

Recommendation: if you go for Eheim - do make sure you get a pair of Eheim Classics (very simple design and doesn't break down). I was stupid and upgraded my classic to a Pro 3. I thought it was brilliant until the valve broke off inside and I had a horrible, stressful emergency.

Getting two filters will reduce the impact of one of them breaking down

0 Not allowed!
    It did come with a cage, but with the size (1.5"-2") of the Roselines and there torpedo shape they can fit through the cage especially with the suction of the propeller. I may try it out again as the power head alone put a great current in the tank and they seemed happy with it.
    You could always add some sort of netting over it. Got a spare pair of fishnet stockings?