· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Gallon Setup?

1. Default 5 Gallon Setup?

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a list of things I will be getting for my freshwater 5 gallon setup and I just wanted you thoughts/opinions/suggestions. If I need to take out something or add something just let me know. Thank you

List: Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter 90 GPH, Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges, Wardley Premium Betta Food, Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Petco Aztec Bronze Aquarium Gravel 5 lbs, Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater 50 Watts, Sentry Mardel Water Quality Check Freshwater Aquarium Ammonia Test Kit, Sentry Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater & Freshwater, ATI Aquarium Thermometer, NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner, Petco Small Greek 3 Column Aquarium Ornaments Collection, 2 Petco Anubias Betta Aquarium Plants, 2 Petco Ammania Betta Aquarium Plants, Petco Forgotten Ruins Aquarium Ornament, Wardley Shrimp Pellets Sinking Tropical Food 1.625 oz.
    If nothing goes right go left

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your fish are going to be spoiled with all that live food! Looks good,are the plants real

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The plants aren't real. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by animalluver
    List: Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter 90 GPH, Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges, Wardley Premium Betta Food, Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Petco Aztec Bronze Aquarium Gravel 5 lbs, Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater 50 Watts, Sentry Mardel Water Quality Check Freshwater Aquarium Ammonia Test Kit, Sentry Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips for Saltwater & Freshwater, ATI Aquarium Thermometer, NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner, Petco Small Greek 3 Column Aquarium Ornaments Collection, 2 Petco Anubias Betta Aquarium Plants, 2 Petco Ammania Betta Aquarium Plants, Petco Forgotten Ruins Aquarium Ornament, Wardley Shrimp Pellets Sinking Tropical Food 1.625 oz.
    Do without the test strips!

You are better off with a liquid test kit - the API master freshwater is what is used by most forum members - it is cheaper in the long run, more accurate and tests for everything needed as a fish keeper.

Also, I would advise against getting any ornaments that have holes (unless it is an open cave design) - fish grow and can get stuck in them

Make sure your filter is good for at least double the size of your tank.

One other suggestion - I would skip the freeze dried food and get frozen worms/shrimp - I've seen many people say that freeze dried food made their fish constipated - frozen food can be purchased in cubes.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Do without the test strips!

You are better off with a liquid test kit - the API master freshwater is what is used by most forum members - it is cheaper in the long run, more accurate and tests for everything needed as a fish keeper.

Also, I would advise against getting any ornaments that have holes (unless it is an open cave design) - fish grow and can get stuck in them

Make sure your filter is good for at least double the size of your tank.

One other suggestion - I would skip the freeze dried food and get frozen worms/shrimp - I've seen many people say that freeze dried food made their fish constipated - frozen food can be purchased in cubes.
    ++ Andrea nailed it :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    You will need a good flake or pellet food as well. I prefer Hikari brand or NLS. Blood worms alone will not provide sufficient nutrition for your fish.

I personally like the AquaClear 20 power filter. It has flow control so it will works for your 5 gallon. I run one on my 4 gallon betta tank and he is cool with it. That way you won't have to keep buying disposable cartridges and removing your BB colony every time you replace it.
    Last edited by Gogi; 12-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi
    You will need a good flake or pellet food as well. I prefer Hikari brand or NLS. Blood worms alone will not provide sufficient nutrition for your fish.

I personally like the AquaClear 20 power filter. It has flow control so it will works for your 5 gallon. I run one on my 4 gallon betta tank and he is cool with it. That way you won't have to keep buying disposable cartridges and removing your BB colony every time you replace it.
    Actually, no matter what filter the OP ends up with, cartridges don't need to be replaced - just rinsed in used tank water. If the cartridge is really falling apart, a new one can go in with the used cartridge to "seed" it with bacteria, but that shouldn't be necessary for quite some time.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi

I already put a flake food on the list of items to get. Oh! I forgot to put a fish net on there. I will remember to add it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Andrea I will remember to use that method with the filter cartridges.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One other thought = have you considered how you're going to cycle this tank? Would be great if you had the cycle complete before you add your betta. If you have questions let us know.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492