· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default single cory with a betta

0 Not allowed!
    i recently had to separate my betta from my community tank and put him in his own tank. its a small tank between 2.5 to 3 gallons. i have a small heater that keeps the water around 78. i have an airstone in the tank to keep the water moving. i was thinking about adding a single cory (albino,panda or pygmy). i dont like otto cats because they are not very hardy and primarily eat algae. i need a bottom feeder, any ideas or thoughts on my idea?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kholm15
    i recently had to separate my betta from my community tank and put him in his own tank. its a small tank between 2.5 to 3 gallons. i have a small heater that keeps the water around 78. i have an airstone in the tank to keep the water moving. i was thinking about adding a single cory (albino,panda or pygmy). i dont like otto cats because they are not very hardy and primarily eat algae. i need a bottom feeder, any ideas or thoughts on my idea?
    Cories really need a large group (like 6 or more) to be happy and that amount won't fit in that size tank.

The betta also shouldn't really be kept in that size tank - many members would recommend no smaller than a 5gal. They need room to move. Was it being bullied or was it being a bully - is that why it was moved?

Why do you need a bottom feeder?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Do you not have any filtration?

I wouldn't keep a cory on it's own. A bit cruel once you see how sociable they are in groups. Sweet little things.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Cory's get stressed very easily as well. I agree that neither should be in such a small tank as that and definitely not together.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Do you not have any filtration?

I wouldn't keep a cory on it's own. A bit cruel once you see how sociable they are in groups. Sweet little things.

+1 to the above.

I would not keep a cory solo either, Especially in what is apparently an unfitered tank that is smaller than the minimum suggested tank size for a betta alone.

You do not NEED a bottom feeder, You DO however NEED a filter [If that is the case] and a larger tank is a suggestion you should take seriously as well.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.