· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bolivian rams liplocking?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 bolivian rams, 1 I know is a male but I have one that's way bigger (I got them at the same time)and not 100% sure what it is, but looks like a female. I used to see them lip-locking often, now they do it less but still do, and sometimes I see the confirmed male peck the unsexed one. So my question are, do male and female bolivian rams lip-lock, or is it only males? Also is this breeding behavior?

Thanks, seb's fish

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Male and females lip lock often. It is part of breeding but doesn't guarantee that they will. It's just part of their normal interaction with each other.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    O.k thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Male & female rams do lip-lock, like other cichlids, but it's typically related to territorial disputes. Breeding behavior will consist of chasing, displaying (extending fins), and on some occasions lip-locking can occur... but like I said, it's probably a territorial dispute. You'll know when they're courting each other.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't want to disagree with you KevinVA but they do in fact lip lock when breeding. This article explains breeding behavior in detail and I found this exact quote from it. It could be a territorial dispute but it could just be their natural behavior as well.

"they do what we call lip locking"

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=92214

0 Not allowed!
    If you read the entire article, you'd notice that it also suggests a pecking order, which is what I was referring to. You'll notice this amongst cichlids of all sizes (and I've seen it in Gouramis & Paradise fish, as well).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, because you're right - sometimes they'll lock lips (and I stated that above), but many times (and more likely), they're discussing their terms of who's the boss in the tank. It'll become more evident what their intentions are, when they begin flashing, displaying/protruding their fins, displaying more color, the male will chase the female, etc.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry I misunderstood what you were saying before then. You are right in what you are saying but I thought of it a different way and didn't quite understand what you meant by it.

0 Not allowed!
    No bigs. We'll chalk it up to mixed messages.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Bolivian rams lip locked all the time. The females like to test the males by lip locking. After a few times mine paired up. If they stay on opposite sides, sorry but 2 males. If the male tries to swim into the females territory often then give them a couple weeks and see.

I sold my pair before I was able to collect fry :(

The other species of ram ( German Blue ram ) do not tend to lip lock but slap when another male is present. If they slap then you may have 2 males.