· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost my cycle

1. Default lost my cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 120 gallon i lost cycle on becouse i hade 2 large oscars and 2 jd's. What happend was the load got to be to much and i lost cycle. Im getting rid of the jd's. How do i cycle a tank with 2 large oscars in it?
    get-r-dun

0 Not allowed!
    Having too much of a bioload will not make you loose your cycle, it just means your fish are producing more ammonia than your fitration can handle

Follow the exact same steps as you would if you were cycling with fish (link below in my sig)

Did you change anything in the tank resently ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Cliff's post - we assume you mean you started having readings for ammonia? What kind of filtration do you have on that tank?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with both Cliff and Adrea. That big tank and those large fish probably should have two canisters on that tank.

Also, a cycle can be set-back from forgetting to add dechlorinator, changing out filter media or not doing enough maintenance which can cause the pH to drop down too low.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a mega flow sump and a rena xp4 canister filter. Over the last few months I have been away alot so I have negleced the tank but not intentialy. I have readins of ammonia and no nitrates. I have been doing large water changes.
    Last edited by oscarkid36; 12-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    get-r-dun

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What do you have as far as media in your mega flow sump?
    Does it hold beneficial bacteria in a sponge or within the media?
    How are you service cleaning it?
    Are you being careful to not damage the bio?
    What size is it and how much area is designated to bio media?

The Rena Xp canister has the same questions applied.
    How are you service cleaning, the media and such.

Also, are you staggering the service of these units or doing the cleaning of both units at once? Both at once is not recommended.

When you cleanse them are you using aged water with no chlorines etc?

You should not have lost your cycle from a PH crash as you still have fish alive that do not tolerate low PH.

Keep in mind that if your water from the tap has chloramine in it and you are not properly removing this chemical, your ammonia level will be high. Also, most test kits read the ammonia portion of the chloramine and some read the bound ammonia after the the dechlorinator has been applied. You may need to adjust the product per your area. With the drought, many locals have begun using chloramine as their initial water product has been affected and chloramine is more stable in the water.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My sump is 14 by 10 and 12 inchs deep and i have not cleaned the bio-balls in two years. The canister filter just has filter pads and no media and I wash them once a month with regular water. I will be adding media to the canstier and start using aged water to clean .Also when I use water conditioner I use more then it calls for.
    Last edited by oscarkid36; 12-27-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    get-r-dun

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If the bio-active media gets a lot of clumping debris than flow through the media will fail; also, it is possible the amount of bio-media is too small. I'd clean some of the media; clean the substrate in the tank, also add more media (bio-balls and these should be ceramic, not plastic.) After things stabilize (give a week or two and when the ammonia level drops to zero), clean the other filter as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarkid36
    My sump is 14 by 10 and 12 inchs deep and i have not cleaned the bio-balls in two years. The canister filter just has filter pads and no media and I wash them once a month with regular water. I will be adding media to the canstier and start using aged water to clean .Also when I use water conditioner I use more then it calls for.
    Regular water? Like water right out of the tap? If this is the case, you need to either utilize used tank water or make sure you dechlorinate the tap water 1st or you are killing off beneficial bacteria - if you are already doing this my apologies - just trying to determine where your ammonia is coming from.

Killing off bacteria means there is less of it to "eat" the ammonia your fish produce and it will build up in your tank. It appears you might need some more biological media - just my 2 cents.

There is no need to "age" water to clean! Just use what I mentioned above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarkid36
    i have not cleaned the bio-balls in two years.
    That would likely be a large part of your problem. As Cermet has stated, when the bio balls get cloged up with gunk, the ammonia can not get to the bacteria and it will reduce the effectiveness of your filtration.

I would suggest cleaning the bio-balls in old tank water like already suggested

Once you have everything stablized and the parameters in line, I would suggest regular cleaning (monthly or so) of the bio-balls and substeate as a part of your routine maintenance.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]