· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    An acrylic tank large enough to house an arowana would be very expensive if cost is an issue. A glass tank is not difficult to build and is very safe once simple guidelines are adhered to.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone,

Aeonflame - what guidelines would you suggest for a glass tank. Yes cost is a factor. Cant spend a lot of money.

Talldutchie- Yes the weight i have calculated and it will be around what you have mentioned. I presently have a cristalprofi 900 on my present tank. But i have a brand new monster Eheim 2250 ready and waiting to go on the new aquarium. so both of these will be working on the new tank which i plan to build.

I am actually running out of time, as my Arowana's are growing and i need to start the build asap.

Being hot in Dubai, I have a chiller also installed to keep the tank at 24 - 26 Deg C temp for the arowana...

Any suggestions on braces ? any suggestion on the top of the tank - Cover ? please advise.

0 Not allowed!
    Once again, sign up on monster fishkeepers, those guys have tons of experrience and your project would qualify as medium sized to them

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Once again, sign up on monster fishkeepers, those guys have tons of experrience and your project would qualify as medium sized to them
    Many thanks. noted. I am signed up with them but unfortunately they are either too BIG a site or dont have time to assist. I have always got assistance on aquaticcommunity, thus feel this is a much more valuable website.

0 Not allowed!
    That I can imagine.

Try posting with a few pics and a "help me build my fish a better home" subject. Also look at the stickies.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1732

should help, I'd say 10mm glass and a brace every 60cm or so.
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...?335-DIY-Tanks

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply....

lets see if any suggestions arrive...

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    go watch UaruJoey's videos on youtube. he does all kinds of tanks for arowana and big fish. very easy to follow aswell.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    When placing braces, you want to make sure they form roughly square areas. For example, if the width of your tank is 24 inches, then the braces should be installed roughly every 24 inches.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    I highly recommend a plywood tank, it takes most of the risk of supporting the glass out from what i've seen. Plus plywood tanks for something that big can be more budget friendly than all glass.

All you need for glass wood just be the front pane, and maybe the two sides if you wanted. And you could build it completely to your specs.

This will require time and planning, google plywood tank builds, they have great ones that I have seen. We can all help with the filtration and little parts of the build, but I think it would help to read something like this.... may be a bit more intricate than you need, but it will give you an idea of whats involved

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=36673

that's for a salt water tank, but the build part itself is pretty much the same. Except I don't think you would need the overflow built the way this guy did, could just have a drilled hole with bulk head