· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New Tank Build - need assistance

0 Not allowed!
    Dear All,

Good day,

Need to get some assistance on making a new tank for my Arowana's.

I am looking at making the tank myself.

270 cm x 60 cm x 50 cm.

Any tips and advise is most welcome.

My dear friend is helping me with knowledge but thought of posting here as well. if any specific points need to be taken into consideration.

rgds

0 Not allowed!
    Here is an instructional video. It will be easier for you if you can order the glass pre-cut to the exact dimensions you want.

<-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of people have great success and cost savings by building plywood and glass tanks, especially the guys over at monsterfishkeepers, who typically keep fish so absurdly large that standard aquariums just don't cut it for them. If you're handy with power tools or just not scared of trying you should do a little googling for plywood aquariums.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have the space an indoor above ground pond also works and is very cost effective
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    what kind of tank are you building? glass, acrylic, plywood? any specific questions you have about the build? how much of it do you already have planned? will really help once we know what kind of materials you're going to use.
    Thar she blows!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for your replies..

I am planning on building a glass aquarium.

one of my specific question is on how to join the glass ? will only silicon help such a huge tank ?

Once the tank is ready, i will be getting a wooden stand made for it, where the filters and all equipment will go.

This tank is for my arowana only.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    I helped a friend build an interesting tank. We used a wine barrel. Was a little complicated but in the end wow!! built a stand that looked like a X.
    First difficulty getting the burnt charco out. Then the wood strips kept flexing so we fiber-glassed the inside to give it stability. Next we cut a large hole in the front. Then heated a large piece of plexi up and pushed from the inside through the cut out. It then kind of looked like a bubble coming out. Made sure to leave a lip on the outside of plexi so we could silicone from the inside to the wall. Cut the top off and put on hinges. So Cool every thing not in exact order of construction. Reinforcing around the cut-out so the boards didn't move took awhile.
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 06:32 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpreet View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies..

I am planning on building a glass aquarium.

one of my specific question is on how to join the glass ? will only silicon help such a huge tank ?

Always does me good to see someone doing their best to provide an arowana with decent housing.

Yes this can be done in glass as long as you use braces. I bought a used eheim from a guy who had a tank even longer than this all made out of glass. As said, monsterfishkeepers is probably the place to look for more information. And don't underestimate the weight of something this big. Water alone it will be 810kg. Let's say another 250-300kg for the glass.
    What are you going to do to filter all that? A sump? That's easily another 200kg.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Might consider a Plexi-glass tank. Plexi is 6 x stronger than glass.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    If you do the barrow tank, I think we first filled all the gaps from the inside with a plastic auto body filler first.