· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default sudden fish death

0 Not allowed!
    Any idea why this happened? Last night my juvenal gold Ram was swimming happily and eating Spectrum flakes. Fish is in my 29Long for 5 weeks. This morning the poor fish was dead. None of my other fish had problems and are their usual active selves, the testing was clear of Ammonia and Nitrites/Nitrates, temp remained at a constant 80 degrees, fish had no signs of injury, and tank stocking is at 78%.
    This is the first death I've had with the tank since I cycled it a few months ago. Yesterday I did my usual twice weekly 30% water change (well water I treat with an an eighth tsp of prime).
    Is this a sign of trouble ahead? I get attached to all my fish but know their life span is short and don't want to lose any.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You mentioned that your tank was clear of nitrates, I assume that is a typo, because no nitrates means not cycled.

You are the owner of your tank, and you know it better than anyone else. You seem knowledgable and responsible. You gave us a bunch of reasons why the fish wouldnt be dead, but I would challenge you to think of possible circumstances in your tank the may have been problematic. Also, what did the dead fish look like? And signs of stress? Bacterial erosion, blood spots under the skin, signs of aggression?

There are 100 reasons that we can pin point about why a fish might die, and a 1000 reasons that are unknown. Maybe take a water sample to a local fish store and have them run a full diagnotic test. Watch for aggression and any other fish showing signs of stress.

Sometimes fish just die and thats OK too, as long as you practice responsible fish keeping. Good luck sir.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe have you water tested by a LFS to see if they get a different result than you

I am puzzeled by 0 nitrates, you should have at least some
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to zero trates being a sign.

What is your other stock?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    If you lost your cycle, you would be reading elevated amounts of ammonia, so that's probably not it.

Could be your fish had some internal problem that didn't manifest any outward symptoms. We often can tell by looking at our fish if they're ill or stressed, but not always. Some troubles remain hidden.

Since all your other fish appear healthy, just keep an eye on them. If no further problems arise, then this was a problem exclusive to that one fish and not contagious.

Best of success to you ...

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

6. Default sudden fish death

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your replies. Yes the nitrate reading was a typo reading was 60 (safe range). Nitrites - 0, hardness - 75, alkalinity - 50, ph - 7.

ddavis - suspect stress as although my fish are peaceful - 2 Rams, 2 dwarf Gourami, 8 Danios. I do notice some hiding of the larger Brilliant Ram and the Gouramis at feeding time tho they eventually do come out. The Danios' dithering may bother them tho at other times they just don't pay any attention to each other.

I'll watch my tank even more than usual but I don't notice any bullying. I did worry about my Danios at 80 degrees but they are doing fine. From past experience I thought the Gouramis would spend most of their time in the upper strata but they graze the bottom of the tank for food except for feeding time when they do some top feeding.
    Hate to be such a worrywart but fish death really bothers me. They are pets!

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean your nitrate was 60ppm ?

If yes, then I'm afriad that 60ppm is not in the safe zone. Nitrate starts to become toxic to fish at 40ppm. I would think the very high nitrate levels are the cause. There are a few things you can do to lower them:
    -increase your weekly water changes
    -properly clean your filter(s) about once a month in old tanks water
    -feed less

I would suggest a 50% water change today, and one tomorrow to help keep your remaining fish safe and alive
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    If the 60 ppm nitrates is accurate, there's your answer. In addition to the other suggestions, I would add to vacuum your substrate thoroughly.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Doing two water changes a week, you nitrates should not ever be that high. If you tested after your water change, those nitrates could have been even 80. How often do you clean your gravel?

I use one full capful of Prime for my 29 gallon. It's plenty cheap so no need to scrimp on it.

10. Default fish death

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone, I'll follow all your suggestions and have just cleaned out my filter, did a gravel clean and will do more water changes.
    Merry Christmas, Happy HANUKKAH to everyone.
    Dick