· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter

0 Not allowed!
    My grand dad just gave me one of these out of his attic. I think it's freakin cool. He said he bought it around 1976. I'll attach some pictures below. Also, the cord was broken so we removed the patch and threw it away. Should I keep the original cord or replace it with a new one? It still works fine.

Pictures are being difficult, I'll post in another reply in one second. My main question, is it valuable in any way? Be it monetary or practical.
    Last edited by Northerly; 12-24-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know anything about that filter but my theory on power supplies to equipment in close proximity to water [] is that it should be done right, & More than right when possible.

If it's dodgy in any way [And it's age may qualify here], Have someone who knows what they're doing replace it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! Will do. If these prove to be good filters I'll pay to have it done professionally. Or if it's worth something as a collectible.

0 Not allowed!
    Vortex diatom filters can last a long time and they do an amazing job of polishing the water. Polishing as in really, really, really clean. This is a filter meant to run hours, not days.

New, start at about $90. and parts are still available for almost every model made.

If the cord is bad, the motor probably needs oiling too.
    As other has said, either replace the cord at the motor, properly, or cut it off and trash the filter. Properly used, you aren't likely to get the motor wet, but no one does everything properly all the time.

The manual will be here
    http://www.diatomfilter.com/manual.htm

0 Not allowed!
    That's awesome. Thank you very much. Pictures won't upload. They don't seem necessary anyways:p

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Diatom filters crush other filters and media when it comes to polishing water in the aquarium

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    from what I've read on the forum, most everyone here has trouble from time to time with diatom ... yet this is the first time I've heard of this filter. Since I don't seem to be able to keep ottos alive :o( and phisoban (sp) has not been 100% effective, I'm really curious about this filter.
    Does anyone here use one of these Vortex Diatom Filters? I'm thinking this should have been on my Christmas wish list LOL
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    from what I've read on the forum, most everyone here has trouble from time to time with diatom ... yet this is the first time I've heard of this filter. Since I don't seem to be able to keep ottos alive :o( and phisoban (sp) has not been 100% effective, I'm really curious about this filter.
    Does anyone here use one of these Vortex Diatom Filters? I'm thinking this should have been on my Christmas wish list LOL
    A diatom filter uses layer of diatomaceous earth coating a filter bag or filter block to filter the water. That takes a fairly powerful motor to run the pump, and it will get very warm.

While it will filter out diatom algae from the water, it won't do anything to reduce the nutrient load on the tank. Which promotes the diatom algae growth.