· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Red Eye Tetra - pop eye

0 Not allowed!
    My male red-eye tetra had what looked liked a mild case of pop eye a couple of weeks ago. After a couple of days the eye went back in a little bit and he seemed fine. It was still out just a little bit, but not nearly as much as before.

This morning I noticed it was out so far it looks like it's about to literally fall out. Looks like he is in a cartoon. He wasn't swimming much and I don't think he ate when I fed everybody.

Is this bad news? Any way to treat?

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    Have you recently tested your water parameters and what are they? Ammonia, nitrites & nitrates

How large is your tank and what do you have in there besides that fish - types of fish & how many of each

Is your tank cycled?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    55g planted tank - recently finished cycling or at the very end. Last readings amm- 0-.25, Trites - 0, trates - 10. 6 danios, 2 paradise, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 guppy, 2 red eyes, 2 pictus cats, 2 mystery snails.

No other fish has showed signs of pop eye or any bacterial issues.

29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    How long has this fish been in your tank and why the reading for ammonia?

Have you recently cleaned your filter or replaced any media?

How often do you change your water and how much at a time?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't want to muddy the water so this is just food for thought: 1 gourami and 2 paradise fish. All 3 very territorial and fighters. In my experience a paradise fish can be relentlessly mean if he decides on a target. This is probably not your situation but are you sure the tetra is not injured?

In the meantime Andrea is asking good questions. Would be especially interested in knowing how often you do water changes and what percent of water you change. Good clean water will often make all the difference.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Paradise fish are gourami.

One eye pop-eye is very likely to be an injury but maintaining pristine water conditions is going to be essential to help it to heal if you do not currently have a QT tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Paradise fish are gourami.
    which was my point - all Labyrinth fish. all potentially fighters. all in the same tank. not a good mix

One eye pop-eye is very likely to be an injury but maintaining pristine water conditions is going to be essential to help it to heal if you do not currently have a QT tank.
    ++........
    Last edited by fishmommie; 12-24-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tetra was one of the first fish I put in the tank about 8 weeks ago. Did an in-fish cycle with Nutrafin Cycle. The ammonia levels have been between 0 - .25 with no nitrates for several weeks and nitrates are now steady at about 10. I have been doing about 20% water changes every other week. I was told not to do this too much with the in-fish cycle.

The paradise fish (one male and one female) get along fine with the dwarf G. I see no evidence of fighting at all. I have plants, a man made cave and a piece of driftwood that has a cave-like center. There seems to be enough territory and hiding places for them to feel secure and not fight over territory. In fact, the tetras show no fear at all to any of the other fish. the paradise fish and dwarf G basically ignore them and don't push them out if they swim in their vicinity.

Should I be doing more frequent PWC's now that the cycle is ending? I also have diatoms which I understand signify the end of cycling.

29g Community tank -

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would think you need to change 25gallons a week . Just my 2 cents worth . Plus rinse your media in old water from the tank . Good luck and Merry Christmas .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatchuck
    The tetra was one of the first fish I put in the tank about 8 weeks ago. Did an in-fish cycle with Nutrafin Cycle. The ammonia levels have been between 0 - .25 with no nitrates for several weeks and nitrates are now steady at about 10. I have been doing about 20% water changes every other week. I was told not to do this too much with the in-fish cycle.

Unfortunately you were misinformed - it is really important to change more than 20% as often as necessary - it depends upon your ammonia level - which is why it is so important to test your water parameters at least 1-2 times per week. The level of ammonia will tell you how often to change the water and it is recommended to change at least 50% WEEKLY.

Should I be doing more frequent PWC's now that the cycle is ending? I also have diatoms which I understand signify the end of cycling.
    Diatoms do not signal the ending of cycling - you are at the end when you have the following water parameters: -0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20 or less nitrates. Diatoms are simply a type of algae common in new tanks.
    Please see my comments in red
    5 gal QT