· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: A New Betta

Hybrid View

1. Default A New Betta

0 Not allowed!
    It took me a while after Talyn died to find another betta to bring home. Too many in shops looking ratty and like they've had all their fins nipped. I spotted this little guy in one of the 2 LFSs I trust to buy from. At first I thought he'd been nipped at too, but all their other bettas were perfect, and they were all kept in breeder boxes on the back of bigger tanks, with plenty of filtration.

He has no name yet and will be sharing my 10G with cardinal tetras and an oto for the time being (am growing the cardinals out to go into my 20G in the future). I'd love to get opinions on what 'type' he is. He's a greyish black in the body and fins, with a white, shiny head. His dorsal and anal fins are of normal length for a VT, but his tail is very short and spikey, like there's some CT in his ancestry

Any my oto, who seems to think he's a cardinal

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A very lovely betta splendens my friend.

I would keep a watch on him with the cardinal tetras.

I had to move Rose from the 10 gallon in the living room to the 4 gallon on my desk and am having to rehome Jack because i have no other cycled tanks i can put him in due to the fact Rose would always go after what i was trying to feed my 3 oto cats. I think some of the ammonia reading i had in that tank was not just because i was cleaning it too often, but because Rose was starting to get territorial at least where the oto cats were concerned.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    How does getting territorial cause ammonia spikes?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well mommy it doesn't cause it, but i don't think it helped. my ammo spike was mainly caused by too much cleaning. but i know whenever i put a algae pellet into the tank for my oto cats, my betta Rose always bullied them off it trying to eat it first. so while the main cause of the spike wasn't the stress, it probably didn't help.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari
    well mommy it doesn't cause it, but i don't think it helped. my ammo spike was mainly caused by too much cleaning. but i know whenever i put a algae pellet into the tank for my oto cats, my betta Rose always bullied them off it trying to eat it first. so while the main cause of the spike wasn't the stress, it probably didn't help.
    I think your betta is just into getting as much food as possible, ammonia spike or not. Some fish can just be like that.

Ammonia spikes are not caused by stress - as you stated, it might have been caused by overcleaning your filter - getting rid of too much beneficial bacteria will do that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know finding out the hard way on that one. Thank god the NitrIte bacteria didn't die. I think it's also because there are no longer any live plants in that tank, which helped keep the Ammo down. So now the biowheel needs to compensate and make more ammo bacteria to take the load.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He is quite stunning. I can't wait until he gets settled in and is a bit more visible.

I have a spare 4G that I can move him to if needs be, the filter for it has been kept in my 20G for the last 6 months so it'll be full of BB.