· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 25 gallon tank for breeding

0 Not allowed!
    Hey i'm going to setup my 25 gallon to have as a breeding tank and all around tank and i'm not sure what fish that i can keep.

I'm looking for an easy fish to breed, right now i have a few guppy females and platy females in the tank and they are all starting to die off

I have been thinking of having it for my angelfish to spawn in but it's to small to keep them there for the rest of their life so it will just be temporary while they spawn. I spend most of my free time next to this tank sitting at the computer so a temporary breeding tank is not really that appealing to me so i search for some smaller fish i can keep there all around and get some fry off.

Criteria for fish.

* Fairly easy to breed
    * Need to fit in a 25 gallon tank
    * Popular fish so i can get rid of fry

I did keep all types of livebarers but the local pet stores won't take them so i use them as food for my angels.

The tank is not aimed to be a pure breeding tank but i want to keep it so they can breed, for example dwarf cichlids maybe just 1 male 2 females depending on fish and a max of 2 males depending on size of fish i have.

Thanks in advanced

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What's your ph? If it's lower than 7.5: a pair of kribs, a pair of bolivian rams, If your ph is in the middle of 6.5 and 6, you could breed tetras, but you need a type of moss and it's fairly hard to breed them. If it's higher than 7.5, you could get some shelldwellers, or a pair of brichardi.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know what ph i do have but my tapwater is 7 and i use just plain tapwater without any prep chemicals for it.

I have 3 rams but they won't spawn in the angelfish tank since i changed substrate and arn't they very picky about ph? won't spawn if its above 6.9?

But ill read up all those and see what looks the best and funniest to try

Thanks keep the tips flowing :D

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    When you say "i have a few guppy females and platy females in the tank and they are all starting to die off" ... Are you saying due to age? Otherwise, why are these fish dying off?

And when you say "tapwater is 7 and i use just plain tapwater without any prep chemicals for it." Are you saying you have well water (i.e. no chlorine componds?)
    Last edited by Cermet; 12-23-2012 at 05:10 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they are dieing of from old age i have had them for about 7 month these ones and these fish arn't getting very old these days.

the tap water here are perfectly fine for fish no need for any chemicals to make it fish safe, if it wasn't safe i wouldn't say i don't use chemicals to prepare it for fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Guppies or endlers. Easy breeders.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    guppies is something that is easy but impossible to get rid of fry only use for those are to feed my other fish with. i said above i kept all types of the popular livebarers but the local pet store won't take the fry. I also want a bit more challenge

0 Not allowed!
    If you want interesting, and can provide the water chemistry and rockwork, you could get a pair of Neolamprologus Pulcher "Daffodils". They are fascinating and are very protective parents (not to be kept with any other fish). They don't reach much more than 3-4"....probably just about ok in your tank, but if they're the only pair I reckon you could keep them and breed successfully.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~