· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Possible Gourami Breeding?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I've had my tank for about 6 months and the latest addition were two honey red gouramis (also have 4 glowlight tetras, 5 neons, 4 japonica shrimp and 1 aquatic frog).

In the last few days I've noticed bubbles on the water surface. This morning I see that it's one of the honey reds blowing them. He seems slightly darker in patches around his abdomen and tail. At first I thought he was sick but on reading up I'm thinking he's nest building. From a look online I've read about removing them after the fry have hatched.

I don't have a second tank so am wondering what I should/can do. Also, if I do a water change (which I'm due to do today), it will break up the bubbles.

I'd appreciate any advice please.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What size is this tank?

and are you sure they are m/f on gouramis?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You are not really set up to accomodate fry in the tank set you have.

Gouramis breed much the same as Bettas. The male builds a bubble nest, attracts a female, they spawn, he drives her off and he guards the nest and cares for the tiny fry. When they become too mobile he will either let them disperse or drive them off or he will focus on the next batch and devour them.

If they spawn you will notice tiny white eggs within the bubbles. They will hatch within several days and the fry will appear as tiny slivers. After several days they will become mobile. They feed upon tiny micro life and you can use infusoria culture or a dry feed such as Sera Micron. The tank surface needs to be kept very warm and moist as they develop so that when they fill their labyrinth gland they do not chill and perish.

In your tank they will most likely fall prey to the other fish. In this case I would witness the spawn sequence and if you enjoy the mystery you may wish to set up a specialty tank to spawn them and enjoy the treat of raising the fry.

Have fun.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Many thanks for this. It's a 20 gal tank I have (to answer the first reply). I don't know if I have males or females.

At the moment another tank isn't really an option so I'll watch things unfold and will try to disturb the surface as little as possible when I do the water change.

Thanks again.