· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Fish that would be okay alone in a 20 gal?

0 Not allowed!
    We got our new 20-gallon set up and cycled. I put a piece of driftwood and a couple plants in there. My husband thinks that since our 55-gallon is going to be densely planted an full of small fish, the 20-gallon should have minimal decor and one or two larger fish. What can we get that's pretty and good alone or in a pair?
    15 gal: 1 butt-ton Malaysian trumpet snails.
    20 gal: 20+ various molly and platy fry.
    55 gal: 40 neon tetras.
    75 gal: 2 Taiwan reef cichlids, 3 pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus juveniles.

0 Not allowed!
    Is it a 20 tall or 20 long?
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20 gals does tend to limit the size of fish.

Your Rainbow sharks are Red Tail sharks are good loners but typically need 3-4 feet of area to patrol, maybe able to get away with this in a 20 long, and still have room for a few tank mates.

All gourami's are good solo fish.

Some African Cichlids are good solo fish.

Its a bit cliche, but all bettas are good solo fish, and I like the half moons.

You might be able to get away with a pair of angel fish in a 20 tall.

Also if you wanted to do a cold water tank, there are plenty of fancy goldfish to choose from that do very well alone.

And as Hobbs said, Puffer fish :)
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979
    20 gals does tend to limit the size of fish.

Your Rainbow sharks are Red Tail sharks are good loners but typically need 3-4 feet of area to patrol, maybe able to get away with this in a 20 long, and still have room for a few tank mates.

All gourami's are good solo fish.

Some African Cichlids are good solo fish.

Its a bit cliche, but all bettas are good solo fish, and I like the half moons.

You might be able to get away with a pair of angel fish in a 20 tall.

Also if you wanted to do a cold water tank, there are plenty of fancy goldfish to choose from that do very well alone.

And as Hobbs said, Puffer fish :)
    Uhhh, I hate to disagree with the above - red tailed sharks in no way belong in a tank that small considering how large they potentially get

Angelfish fit into the same category - even for 1 of them.

Fancy goldfish need either very large tanks or ponds due to their potential size as well.

I agree on a betta or puffer.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Andreahp

Also, have you consider a larger sized school of some of the smaller tetras?

Sometimes large schools can be just as interesting to watch as one or two larger fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    something that might be fun in the 20 would be either a long finned betta of some type or a paradise fish (gorgeous but mean so better alone) and toss in a fancy fresh water cray fish for movement on the bottom. They come in blue and white and red and orange. I'd go with the smaller variety. Very interesting creatures. Just don't put snails in the tank with them unless you want them eaten :o(

If you go with the betta, keep the current down, float some hornwort and it would be gorgeous.

One more option - betta and a school of 6 pigmy corys and a couple of colorful mystery or nerits snails.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 12-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommie's idea for a Paradise fish is good - these are cool water "tropicals" (61 - 75 F) and are very attractive fish that do best alone; could have a small school of of Emerald catfish that can tolerate down to 72 F for clean up crew.

0 Not allowed!
    A solo domestic Angelfish would be fine in a 20G tall...many breeders use 20Hs or 29s to house their breeding pairs the fish do fine in these conditions. A fantail goldfish also would not be a terrible choice for a 20G...especially a long tank as these tend to not grow as large as say an Oranda or single tailed fish. Most fantails grow to around 4" occasionally you will find a pond kept fish up to around 6". Do keep in mind that a 20G would be a minimum sized tank for a single fantail, so very efficient filtration and waterchanges would be necessary. My SO has kept a fantail in a 20G high for 12 years the fish is about 4.5"...and appears quite content despite living in total clown puke aquascape
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Also agree with Andrea. You mentioned one fish but if you would consider more than one, you could have a shellie tank with a few Tang cichlids.

Or an all neon or cardinal tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.