· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Talking Kayfish's 120 Gallon...

0 Not allowed!
    Ok first off, I didn't even think of starting a journal until people started asking me if I was going too. For those who don't know my back story, I am fairly new to fish keeping so if you have any suggestions or advice about what I am doing I am open to them. I am doing non stop research so bare with me. I don't have pictures of some of the first steps of this process but here it goes...

For those who aren't familiar with the story here's a recap.
    I went to work one day and saw a large fish tank by the neighboring businesses dumpster. I went over and asked the owner if he was throwing the tank away. He told me someone dumped it there on the weekend and I would be doing him a favor if I took it. What?? Ok if I have too! Woo Hoo!!! It was half full of rain water thanks to our crappy weather :) so I bailed it out and got a co worker to help me carry it to my shop.

The tank measured 72"x19"x20". It must be an old tank because it has no center brace and the glass is 3/4" thick. (which really sucks when it comes to moving this beast around). It was filthy with water stains some old substrate and some other type of mystery goo. Right away I could tell it needed to be resiliconed. The previous owner had done a terrible job of trying to reseal it over top the old. Not just on the inside but for some reason they caked it on the outside seams of the tank. Lol. Makes me think they were trying to seal it while it was up and running. Fools, they should have just used stride it lasts much longer then trident. You can't really tell how bad of shape it's in from the photo cause I took it with my phone.
    Anyway, Here it is...
    photo.JPG
    Stay tuned...
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress may be judged by the way it's animals are treated", Gandhi
    Shark fin soup... A bowl of Travesty I will NEVER stomach".

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's one more...
    photo 21.JPG

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got the tank home. Thought I was going to get a hernia or have to hire a crane! One of the guys I work with was on site at a government funded experimental lab and he came across this table. The foreman there said he was getting rid of it. He asked me knowing I just got the tank and I said sure. The table was holding a really heavy piece of machinery and is made out of 3"x3" welded steel tubing.
    photo 1.JPG
    This table is great and was my first plan. I was going to make it into a cabinet/stand. After some thought and planning I decided that I am going to do a built in, right in the wall. Mounting the tank in the basement living room wall. I am currently renovating my basement and have to frame up the wall seperating the laundry room from the living room. Allowing me to reinforce it and make the stand part of it. The back side of the wall is in the laundry/storage room. I plan on putting a laundry sink in for easy WC's and maintenance. The steel framed table will now become a work bench in the garage or a future tank stand.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I am speeding forward with this journal cause I am starting it well after getting the tank. With that being said I am still a ways away due to the basement reno and all.
    The wall I am going to put the tank in will be built from the wall on the left to the wall on the right by the door. Excuse the mess!! I will post more photo's as the framing starts.
    IMG_1600.JPG
    I roughed in the plumbing for the laundry sink. I purchased the sink and will install it after i do a little insulating and drywalling.
    IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    During summer vacation at the cabin, I collected some driftwood and rocks from the lake for the tank.
    IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I gave the tank a serious cleaning with bleach and water. Got rid of all the old silicone and gave the tank another cleaning. I wiped down all the seams with acitone and was ready for masking tape. Masked off all the seams and resealed the beast!!! (thanks to the link Cliff provided me, which gave me the play by play)
    Man can I say my chest hurts from leaning over this tank for so bloody long.

I let the sicone dry for 2 days and then the big moment...
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    Completely full...
    IMG_1605.JPG
    No Leaks!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here it is Almost a week later. Still no leaks!!!
    IMG_1607.JPG

0 Not allowed!
    good job on the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow like new !
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Fellas! More to come...