· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Adding ottos

1. Default Adding ottos

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to be adding 3 ottos to my 20 gallon tall. It well have 10 blood fin tetra and ghost shrimp. I know that I need to wait for the tank to season before adding in the ottos but I'm not sure how long I should wait? I'ts planted with 1 anubias going to 2 more soon, 2 java fern and 2 amazon sword. It's been cycled (still no fish...) for four days. Thanks in advance

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I waited a few months to add mine, and acclimated them very very slowly via drip. They're fragile fish.

Also, I'd suggest you start with more than three. They like to be in a school, and you are probably going to lose some in the first months as well. So maybe five. As long as you feed them (mine go crazy over cucumber and nothing else), you should be OK with that number. They have a small bioload - I have both heard that and witnessed it..they aren't that messy. But, you know, keep an eye on your params.

A good sign of a healthy oto is a fat oto. Since they are vegetarians exclusively, they need to be eating a lot to maintain their mass.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I was thinking 2 or 3 months would this be enough time?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Once you start to get algae growing in your tank you know its been long enough. If your water is good enough to prevent algae then just wait a few months after your tank is completely cycled. I would think 3 months would be enough.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT
    I waited a few months to add mine, and acclimated them very very slowly via drip. They're fragile fish.

Also, I'd suggest you start with more than three. They like to be in a school, and you are probably going to lose some in the first months as well. So maybe five. As long as you feed them (mine go crazy over cucumber and nothing else), you should be OK with that number. They have a small bioload - I have both heard that and witnessed it..they aren't that messy. But, you know, keep an eye on your params.

A good sign of a healthy oto is a fat oto. Since they are vegetarians exclusively, they need to be eating a lot to maintain their mass.
    wow i disagree with nearly everything..

ottos don't care for schools.
    in a 20 gallon i'd say keep 2 because there won't be enough algae to go around which is their preffered food. Also you won't have to have a cucumber slice in your tank all the time.

they poop like crazy since they eat constantly.

They are really hardy in my experience, take a lot of abuse and stress.

not meaning to start arguements here.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT

Mine also like zucchini and squash I have 3 in a 10 gal, two are inseparable but often will see the 3 hanging together on the side of the tank or working over a veggie.
    29: Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, CAE
    20L: Guppies, Platies, Neons, Peppered Corys
    10: Harlequin Raspboras, Otos, Amano Shrimp
    2.5:<empty>

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept ottos long enough to be of much help here.

There is some info here on the forum that might be helpful

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/Otocinclus-sp.php
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]