· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Issue

Question

0 Not allowed!
    I am very concerned that you are still seeing no nitrates but even more strangely, zero ammonia! That seems impossible unless you have near zero bio-load and/or massive water changes. How can your fish produce zero ammonia reading unless there are only a few guppies in a twenty gal tank and you are going daily large water changes ... just doesn't seem possible unless you just did a very large water change.
    Knowledge is fun(damental)

A 75 gal with eight Discus, fake plants, and a lot of wood also with sand substrate. Clean up crew is down to just two Sterba's Corys. Filters: continuous new water flow; canister w/UV, in-tank algae scrubber!! Finally, junked the nitrate removal unit from hell.

For Fishless cycling:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Cermet. Just curious - and maybe this has been asked - but when are you taking your test readings? Before or after your water change?
    If after, that could account for the 0 0 0 readings
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    + to Cermet. Just curious - and maybe this has been asked - but when are you taking your test readings? Before or after your water change?
    If after, that could account for the 0 0 0 readings
    the last water change I did was on December 27th....haven't had a reason to since then b/c ammonia was at a .25 and then 0.....this is weird....

Fish have been off the charts active and seem really happy...haven't had any losses. I can't imagine that they're not producing enough waste. Here is my stock to refresh your memories:
    44 gallon...
    3 Odessa Barbs (1m, 2f)
    4 Golden Barbs
    3 Rosy Barbs
    2 Killifish (mated)
    7 Serpae Tetras
    4 Corys
    6 Cherry Barbs
    4 Zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    With that amount of fish in there, I am thinking that your tank is cycled if you are starting to consistently see 0 ammonia & nitrites - I also cycled my tank with fish and never got a reading for nitrites - ammonia never went over .25 either - perhaps you are done - even with 0 nitrates!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm almost inclined to agree with Andrea.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    With that amount of fish in there, I am thinking that your tank is cycled if you are starting to consistently see 0 ammonia & nitrites - I also cycled my tank with fish and never got a reading for nitrites - ammonia never went over .25 either - perhaps you are done - even with 0 nitrates!
    That's exactly what I'm thinking...it's like I just "missed it"?

Let's say my tank is cycled...when should I start doing "regular maintance" like...cleaning the gravel and doing routine 25% water changes? I have not touched the gravel since this whole thing began and I'm thinking it's probably a little yucky...

0 Not allowed!
    You can clean the gravel whenever you want - usually different areas of the tank are done each week with water changes - and I'd recommend changing 50% rather than 25% each water change.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywish
    That's exactly what I'm thinking...it's like I just "missed it"?

Let's say my tank is cycled...when should I start doing "regular maintance" like...cleaning the gravel and doing routine 25% water changes? I have not touched the gravel since this whole thing began and I'm thinking it's probably a little yucky...
    Now. I would do 50% water changes with filter cleaning and gravel vac once per week. Keep testing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates though.

LOL..Andrea is a bit faster than I am today.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Now. I would do 50% water changes with filter cleaning and gravel vac once per week. Keep testing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates though.

LOL..Andrea is a bit faster than I am today.
    You guys are GREAT!

My Aqueon water changer broke....I got a Python and have been anxious to start using it :)

Filter cleaning would involve swishing the filter media in removed tank water and putting it back in the filter?

How often should I test the water? Daily, every other day, weekly?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, cleaning the media involves removing some tank water and swishing it around - then put it right back in. If you have sponges, you can squeeze them out in the same water.

I would test your water every other day for about another week just to be sure you're parameters are staying stable and then drop down to once every 1-2 weeks - eventually, if your stock stays the same and you aren't overfeeding, you won't need to test even that often.