· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Issue

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    12/31 - no WC today as ammonia is still.25 and no 'trites or 'trates as of yet

I am doing a fish-less cycle on my 10 and 55 gallons...gotta tell ya that actually adding ammonia to a tank feels horribly weird after all of this...lol

Happy New Year!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1/1/13 - ammonia holding at .25...shouldn't be much longer....even though I'm not doing water changes every day, I'm still dosing with the Prime. I figure it can't hurt...

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    If you have fish and the ammonia level is holding steady without water changes, then your bacteria is consuming ammonia. Also, new ammonia is accounting for the reading. As such, you MUST do something like dosing with Prime to help counter the toxic effects of the ammonia. Remember, the only safe level of ammonia is zero but in a fish cycle, not is not possible.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    you MUST do something like dosing with Prime to help counter the toxic effects of the ammonia.
    Sweet.. I did something right!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1/2/13 - ammonia still holding at .25....still dosing with Prime daily

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yesterday and today my readings have been Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 0.....am I still waiting for the nitrites and nitrates to rise and then fall?....did I miss it?...lol

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywish
    yesterday and today my readings have been Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 0.....am I still waiting for the nitrites and nitrates to rise and then fall?....did I miss it?...lol
    Nitrites should rise and then fall as nitrates appear. It's hard to gauge just exactly when that will happen as you're doing a fish in cycle. If nitrites do rise, be prepared to change water again. Your tank will be cycled when you test for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-30 for nitrates. You want nitrates, just don't let them rise above 20-30. You will need to change water at that point to bring nitrates down to between 5 - 10.

HTH
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Nitrites should rise and then fall as nitrates appear. It's hard to gauge just exactly when that will happen as you're doing a fish in cycle. If nitrites do rise, be prepared to change water again. Your tank will be cycled when you test for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-30 for nitrates. You want nitrates, just don't let them rise above 20-30. You will need to change water at that point to bring nitrates down to between 5 - 10.

HTH
    Good info! Thanks!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok...so January 6, 7 and 8...ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 0

0 Not allowed!
    Well, 0,0,0 is a lot of nothing.

How many water changes did you do during this period and what was the quantity changed?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"