· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    So, I'm hitting the tank with about 8hrs of light, 6hrs high, 4hrs med, and it alternates throughout the day. Pretty complex timing scheme. lol
    10-11am = Med, 11-2pm = High, 2-3pm = Med, 3-5pm = OFF, 5-6pm = Med, 6-9pm = High, 9-10pm = Med, 10-10am = OFF
    *Ahem* I mean 10hrs of light. I'm good with numbers and math. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    lol, that is a very complex lighting schedule. I keep my tank running 6 hours of light per day....just a 2x39watt Current with Giesemann bulbs. I used the same fixture for a reef...I figure it is bound to be high med light at least. Perhaps tone your lighting back a touch? Ive kind of found that 6-7 hours of straight photo period with EI dosing and 25-30psi working pressure of the CO2 does wonders. I have increased my ferts and have noticed much less algae than before. Before doing the mass pruning last week I had a lot of green spot algae which has subsided a lot.

I had a Kleiner bar back when I kept a planted 100G...was always a lovely plant and one of the few swords truly suited for tank life as they are large but not ginormous. The plant arrived yesterday...bit disappointed in its condition but it should perk back up as it has nice roots. The ozelot is however doing well and was a rather impressive plant from the start.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 x 48" Finnex Ray2 fixtures over my 75gal. I was trying to get high light down to the bottom to encourage full growth of my Purple Cabomba, but that plant did horribly in my tank, anyway. I've removed it all (and the Parrots feathers I had) and replaced them with a big Java Fern and Staurogyne repens.

Oddly, the Parrots Feathers (Myriophyllum aquaticum) are growing quite well (so far) in the medium 48w T5 HO lighting in one of my 20gal longs... Talk about frustrating. Going to try my Purple cabomba in there, too.

I hear you about the swords. I had 3 common Amazon Swords outgrow my 75gal. They grew to about 2ft in height and the leaves began to bend over, like you'd see jungle vals do in a shorter tank.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    Ive had horrible luck with stems outside of a few species of Hygro and Rotala...for whatever reason even in high light and CO2 they always just do poorly. Now I can grow darn near anything else....from a tiny portion of NL Java I feel I have populated half the country and countless square feet of it in my own tanks.

If I ever manage to get my 75s going I will most likely use Amazon swords...their leaves are tough enough and root system secure enough to handle an O. It is just as well I have not got a tank going for another Oscar as Ive not found the desired one as of yet. I had contemplated another A.orbicularis(avatar) but considering they are a bit larger growing than a A.ocellatus at a solid 18" vs 14-16" I am a bit hesitant to put one into the confines of a 75G. Thus I am hopeful that Rapps gets in some of his Peruvian oscars later this summer I owned a mated pair of those many years ago and loved their color.

In my time spent being a lump on the couch I have also contemplated how to get 3 double stands of 75G tanks into the room...however the recliner will need to be moved into an awkward location but it is a good sacrifice to make I think. I also am confident that going with 3 tanks on independent stands instead of 4 stacked onto 2 stands will mean that bracing the floor is unnecessary.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Oh lord how time flies when your lain up from tendon surgery.

I did take a few months off from the hobby...my tanks were honestly just let go outside of the SOs top offs and feedings. Naturally they have suffered badly. I am however back on my feet and starting to dig through sorting out my messes of aquariums. I had hoped to have my fish room up and going by now however this has just not been an option with dog issues and my injury. I am now left with 3 tanks of "meh" which to most people would still be OK looking tanks but I am very dissatisfied with of course. I was able to breathe a little life back into the 50G acrylic...hooked its CO2 back up, did a WC, removed any dead or dying plants, i also added an amazon sword, and dosed for the first time in months. Within a few hours the tank just looked greener...so heres hoping to a speedy tank recovery on its part.

I am also working out my stocking woes...I literally have only a handful of fish left in part due to my neglect and just crap livestock. I am probably going to dump whatever small shoaling fish I have into the 50G acrylic and round out their shoals. I will be adding serpae tetras and tiger barbs. To that I will hopefully source some tiger barbs that make it out of QT to increase their shoal and also add a top dwelling species, most likely a danio species.

Out of that we have a 56G column, a 55G, and a 20G high at work which are all empty. Not to mention the fact I have 2 brand new dry 75G tanks sitting in the floor of a guest bedroom.

The 56G column I would like to make into a medium tech planted with pressurized CO2....its in the living room and kind of a focal point so I feel it needs to actually look good. Lord knows its been a mess for quite some time...I have ZERO idea what to stock it with. Its unique foot print makes it easy to scape and it looks nice sitting in a room but fish wise it is a challenge. The SO is hoping to add golds to the tank which I am not against, and they do use all areas so it could work.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear your doing better, and it's great to see you back here as well !!!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff! It is nice to be back.

I went to the office yesterday and gave my 20G some much much needed help...it actually looks like a tank again instead of a mess. Now I have zero idea what to stock it with

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Many updates

Since I have returned to near normal mobility I have been able to tear down all of my tanks except for the 50G high tech and give them a complete re-scape.

I have also returned the 75G tanks to Petsmart in favor of a pair of 90G tanks which I managed to find at a LFS on a roadtrip with the SO. These will be setup whenever a friend finishes building their cabinets and I finish painting them. I expect sometime in the winter/early spring. The tanks are painfully just sitting in my guest bedroom collecting dust.

I have ordered an A.crassipinnis which is a species of Oscar I have never kept, the largest recorded specimen caught was recorded at 9.5". It is not known if this is as large as they get or if they grow to "normal" oscar sizes. These things are so rare you can find literally no viable info online and only perhaps 2-3 true adult photos of the fish. So I also have no idea what it will grow up to look like. However the juvies are cute as hell so we shall see. I also have ordered a H.notatus which is another species of Severum I have never kept. I have requested a male so hopefully the folks at The Wet Spot are decent at sexing a 3" cichlid. These two fellas are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and are going into a 4ft 50G tank to grow out until one of the 90s are setup.

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome update! Can't wait to see those 90 gallons fired up! As for the fish, I think it would certainly be fun to raise a fish up without knowing what it will look like. You'll have to get us some pictures when they get here! :)
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you are back to mostly normal and to see you posting here again.

Can't wait to see what you will do with those 90's...excited to see these new fish too!
    20gal long planted community

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast